Current Affairs December 1, 2018 (English) Download
TNPSC Current Affairs December 1, 2018 (1.12.2018)
Naval exercise between India and the United Kingdom - KONKAN-18
- The Bilateral Naval exercise "KONKAN-18" between India and the United Kingdom started on November 28.
- The KONKAN series of exercises commenced in 2004, provides a platform for the two Navies to periodically exercise at sea and in harbour, so as to build interoperability and share best practices.
- KONKAN-2018 will be conducted from 28 Nov to 06 Dec 18 off Goa with units participating from both navies.
- The harbour phase is scheduled from 28 Nov to 30 Nov 18, followed by the sea phase from 02 to 06 Dec 18.
- The Royal Navy will be represented by HMS Dragon, a Type 45 Class Destroyer equipped with an integral Wildcat helicopter.
- The Indian Navy will field INS Kolkata, the first ship of latest Kolkata class destroyers, equipped with integral Seaking and an IN submarine. In addition, IN maritime patrol aircraft, Dornier will also participate in the exercise.
- Naval cooperation between India and the United Kingdom is based on the long term strategic relationship between both countries. Both Navies have, over the years, undertaken bilateral activities such as training exchanges and technical cooperation.
India and United States Joint Exercise-'Cope India 2019-CI19'
- The air force units of India and the United States are scheduled to participate in a 12-day joint exercise 'Cope India 2019' at two air force stations in West Bengal.
- The bilateral flying training programme will be held from December 3 to 14 of this year at two important airbases in West Bengal - Air Force Station Kalaikunda and Air Force Station Arjan Singh at Panagarh.
Georgia's first Woman President - Salome Zurabishvili
- Salome Zurabishvili, a French-born Georgian politician, has elected the first woman president in the history of Georgia. She will be inaugurated as president in the history of Georgia. She will be inaugurated as President of Georgia on 16 December 2018.
Slovenia, the first NATO nation to appoint a female Chief of Armed Forces
- Slovenia has become the first NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organization) nation to appoint a female Chief of Armed Forces after Major General Alenka Ermenc took the post of Head of its Army.
2018 IITF best state Award to Uttarakhand
- Uttarakhand has been adjudged the best state at the 38th India International Trade Fair (IITF) in New Delhi, which showcased reconstruction work done at Kedarnath in recent months besides steps taken by the state government to boost tourism and promote local products like organic honey.
French civilian distinction Chevalier de la Legion d’Honneur to Azim Premji
- IT czar and philanthropist Azim Premji On November 28 was bestowed with the highest French civilian distinction Chevalier de la Legion d’Honneur (Knight of the Legion of Honour).
- Premji, who is the chairman of Bengaluru-headquartered IT major Wipro.
13th edition of CII Agro Tech India-2018 - Inaugurated
- The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, inaugurated the 13th edition of CII Agro Tech India-2018 on December 1, 2018 in Chandigarh.Agro Tech India-2018 will promote specific partnerships that will benefit India’s farmers.
UN Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) 2018-Katowice, Poland
24th meeting of Conference of Parties (COP-24)
- Union Environment Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan to Lead The Indian Delegation At COP-24.
- The 24th meeting of Conference of Parties (COP-24) to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) will be held at Katowice, Poland from 2nd December 2018 to 14th December 2018.
- COP-24 is very significant as it is expected to finalise guidelines for implementation of the Paris Agreement adopted in 2016.
South Asia Regional Youth Peace Conference 2018
- The South Asia Regional Youth Peace Conference has been organised by Gandhi Smriti and Darshan Samiti (GSDS) in partnership with UNESCO- MGIEP and STEP (Standing Together to Enable Peace) from November 28-30, 2018. The 3-day conference is being organized to mark the beginning of celebration of 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
DGAFMS Military Medicine Conclave 2018
- The first Directorate General Armed Forces Medical Services (DGAFMS) Military Medicine Conclave was held in Delhi on December 1, 2018.
- The aim of the conclave was to deliberate on issues and challenges being faced by the AFMS today and to utilize the collective wisdom and experience of veteran leaders of the Corps who have led the Corps to its glorious present status.
- DGAFMS conclave 2018 was attended by AFMS veterans consisting of 34 Ex DGsAFMS and DGsMS of the Army, Air Force and the Navy along with the serving DGsMS and other senior officers of the Armed Forces Medical Services.
Hornbill Festival 2018 in Kohima, Nagaland
- The Union Home Minister Shri Rajnath Singh inaugurated the hugely popular Hornbill Festival 2018 in Kohima 1 December 2018, coinciding with the Formation Day of Nagaland.
- The annual Hornbill Festival is a spectacular event showcasing the rich ancient culture and civilization of the people of Nagaland.
Digital Sky Platform launched December 1, 2018
- India to start registration of drones, pilots, and operators Registration portal for online permission
- The Drone regulations come in effect from December 1, 2018.
- Nano drones in India can start flying legally from December 1, 2018.
- For micro and above categories, operators and pilots are required to register on the Digital Sky Portal
Remotely Piloted Aerial Systems (RPAS)
- Remotely Piloted Aerial Systems (RPAS), popularly referred to as drones, are a technology platform with wide-ranging applications. In August 2018, India had announced the release of its Civil Aviation Regulations (CAR) to enable safe flying of RPAS in India.
- The CAR detailed the obligations of operators, remote pilots/ users and manufacturers/ OEM for safe operations of RPAS and co-operative use of airspace.
- It also announced Digital Sky Platform, a first of its kind that implements 'no permission, no take-off’ (NPNT) – a novel system of software-based self-enforcement to minimize deviations from the CAR.
- The regulations were to come in effect from December 1, allowing the industry time to ready themselves for the launch.
- Drones are a frontier technology which has the potential to leapfrog India’s economic growth. This technology can greatly benefit our farmers, infrastructure entities like railways, roads, ports, mines and factories, sectors like insurance, photography, entertainment, etc.
- The Minister for Civil Aviation has constituted a task-force on the recommendation of Drone Policy 2.0 under the chairmanship of the Minister of State. This task-force which is expected to release their final report by the end of this year.
- Drone 2.0 framework for RPAS are expected to include regulatory architecture for autonomous flying, delivery via drones and beyond visual line of sight (BVLOS) flights.
- Release of interim relief to Tamil Nadu from State Disaster Response Fund (SDRF) for 2018-19
- Tamil Nadu faced a severe cyclonic storm “GAJA” during late night on 15th and early hours on 16th November, 2018 and its 12 districts were severely affected.
- Based on an interim memorandum submitted by Government of Tamil Nadu for additional assistance, Government of India constituted an Inter-Ministerial Central Team (IMCT) immediately on 20th November, 2018.
- IMCT have visited cyclonic storm ‘GAJA’ affected areas in the State from 23rd to 27th November 2018.
- The Union Home Minister has approved to release 2nd installment of Central Share of State Disaster Response Fund (SDRF) amounting to Rs. 353.70 crore, for the year 2018-19, as an interim relief on 30th November, 2018 to help the State in providing relief measures to the affected people.
- Further, assistance will be provided from the National Disaster Response Fund (NDRF), based on the final report of IMCT.
GST Revenue collection for the month of November 2018
- GST Revenue collection for the month of November 2018 crosses Ninety-Seven Thousand Crore Rupees.
- The total gross GST revenue collected in the month of November, 2018 is Rs. 97,637 crore of which CGST is Rs. 16,812 crore, SGST is Rs. 23,070 crore, IGST is Rs. 49,726 crore (including Rs. 24,133crore collected on imports) and Cess is Rs. 8,031 crore(including Rs. 842crore collected on imports). The total number of GSTR 3B Returns filed for the month of October up to 30th November, 2018 is 69.6 lakh.
- The government has settled Rs. 18,262 crore to CGST and Rs. 15,704 crore to SGST from IGST as regular settlement. The total revenue earned by Central Government and the State Governments after regular settlement in the month of November, 2018 is Rs. 35,073 crore for CGST and Rs. 38,774 crore for the SGST.
- Rs. 11,922crore has been released to the states as GST compensation for the months of August-September, 2018. The chart shows trends in revenue during the current year.
IMPORTANT DAYS AFFAIRS
World AIDS Day: 1 December
World AIDS Day 2018
- World AIDS Day, designated on 1 December every year since 1988, is an international day dedicated to raising awareness of the AIDS pandemic caused by the spread of HIV infection and mourning those who have died of the disease.
2018 World AIDS Day Theme: "Know your HIV status"
- Significant progress has been made in the AIDS response since 1988, and today three in four people living with HIV know their status. But we still have miles to go, as the latest UNAIDS report shows, and that includes reaching people living with HIV who do not know their status and ensuring that they are linked to quality care and prevention services.
Nagaland Statehood Day 1 December
Nagaland Formation Day 1 December
Nagaland Formation Day 1 December
- Nagaland attained statehood with the enactment of the state of Nagaland Act in 1962 by the Parliament.
- The interim body was dissolved on 30 November 1963 and the state of Nagaland was formally inaugurated on 1 December 1963 and Kohima was declared as the state capital.