Current Affairs and GK Today April 15th 2018 - Download as PDF
UN launched UN Road Safety Trust Fund
- United Nations has launched UN Road Safety Trust Fund to improve road safety worldwide to save lives and prevent the loss of opportunity associated with road accidents. UN Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE) is secretariat for the trust fund.
- The fund aims to accelerate progress in improving global road safety by bridging gaps in mobilization of resources for effective action at all levels.
- Pakistan's Supreme Court has disqualified deposed prime minister Nawaz Sharif from holding office for life.
- Sharif, 67, resigned in July after the Supreme Court disqualified him from holding office over an undeclared source of income.
Army Commanders’ Conference 2018
- The biannual Army Commanders’ Conference shall commence on 16 April 18.
- Army Commanders’ Conference, chaired by Chief of the Army Staff is held biannually for formulating important policy decisions through collegiate deliberations.
- It is an important event for planning and execution process of the Indian Army.
India Mobile Congress 2018 will be in New Delhi
- India will be host its second India Mobile Congress (IMC) between 25-27 October, 2018 at the New Delhi.
- First edition of IMC held in September 2017, was attended by around 2,000 delegates, 32,000 visitors, 152 speakers, 100 exhibitors and 100 start-ups.
Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) launched in Telangana
- Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) was launched in the state of Telangana on the birth anniversary of Dr. B.R. Ambedkar, at Suryapet by the Minister of Petroleum & Natural Gas and Skill Development & Entrepreneurship Dharmendra Pradhan, in the presence of Shri Bandaru Dattatru, MP .
- PMUY LPG connections were distributed to the BPL Women beneficiaries by the dignitaries on the stage.
- To educate the BPL families, Government is organizing ‘Gram Swaraj Abhiyaan’ from 14th April – 5th May across the country showcasing 7 schemes of the central government.
- On 20th April 2018, ‘Ujjwala Diwas’ will be celebrated by way of Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Panchayats at 15000 locations in which large number of PMUY LPG connections will be distributed.
- PMUY initiative is in line with Governments aim to eradicate energy poverty, thereby promoting economic empowerment.
- PMUY initiative, the Government to revise the initial target of releasing 5 crore connections to 8 crore by the year 2020.
Book Release April 15th 2018
Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar: Vyakti Nahin Sankalp’ : Book Released‘
- The President of India, Ram Nath Kovind, received the first copy of the book ‘Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar: Vyakti Nahin Sankalp’ from the Vice President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu, who formally released it at a function held at Rashtrapati Bhavan on April 14, 2018, to mark Dr B.R. Ambedkar’s birth anniversary.
- The Editor of the ‘Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar: Vyakti Nahin Sankalp’ book is Shri Kishor Makwana.
- The President noted that Dr Ambedkar’s 125th birth anniversary was commemorated at the United Nations in 2016.
PM Narendra Modi inaugurated Health and Wellness Centre in Chhattisgarh
- On the occasion of Ambedkar April 14, 2018, Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated a Health and Wellness Centre, to mark the launch of the Union Government’s ambitious Health Assurance Programme-Ayushman Bharat.
- The Centre was inaugurated at Jangla Development Hub, in the aspirational district of Bijapur in Chhattisgarh.
Exercise Gaganshakti 2018: Joint Operations Battalion Level Airborne Assault
- As part of the ongoing IAF exercise ‘Gaganshakti 2018’, in a joint operation, the IAF and Indian Army Parachute Brigade undertook a Battalion level airborne assault on the evening and night of 14 Apr 18, in the desert sector.
- This assault included paradrop of 560 paratroopers, combat vehicles and GPS guided cargo platforms.
- The accuracy and outcome of the mission highlights IAF’s multi spectral capabilities and its efficiency in providing timely support to ground forces.
ITDC Rs.550 crores project in Andhra Pradesh
- India Tourism Development Corporation (ITDC) signed a MoU on 10th April 2018 with Hyderabad based firm M/s Suraas Impex Pvt. Ltd. for developing a Mega Tourism Destination project at Bhairav Lanka in Kakinada, East Godavari District of Andhra Pradesh at an estimated cost of Rs. 550 crores.
- This is the first of its kind project for the state owned ITDC, which got preferred against several private contenders.
- ITDC has been the prime mover in the progressive development, promotion and expansion of tourism in the country.
- The Division has completed 67 infrastructure projects for Ministry of Tourism, Ministry of Culture and various State Governments.
e-FRRO scheme Launched
- The Union Home Minister Shri Rajnath Singh launched the web-based application ‘e-FRRO’ (e-Foreigners Regional Registration Office) on Aprl 13, 2018.
- e-FRRO scheme is aimed at building a centralized, transparent online platform for the foreigners to avail visa related services and to provide Faceless, Cashless and Paperless services to the foreigners with user friendly experience.
- The e-FRRO scheme would be a quantum jump in improving the ease of service delivery with respect to foreigners visiting and staying in India.
- In the new system, foreigners would be able to get as many as 27 Visa and Immigration related services in India from the comfort of their place of stay.
PM inaugurates ‘Dr. Ambedkar National Memorial’at Delhi
- The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi inaugurated the “Dr. Ambedkar National Memorial (DANM)” at 26, Alipore Road, Delhi at the place of Mahaparinirvana of Dr. Ambedkar on April 13, 2018.
- The memorial is dedicated to the life and contributions of Dr. Ambedkar, the principal architect of the Constitution of India. The Foundation stone of DANM was laid by the Prime Minister on 21st March, 2016.
- Bharat Ratna Baba Saheb Dr. B.R. Ambedkar was born on 14th April 1891 at Mhow in Madhya Pradesh and was the First Law Minister of Independent India.
- After resigning from the Union Cabinet on 1st November 1951, Dr. Ambedkar started residing in the house of Maharaja of Sirohi at 26, Alipur Road, Delhi where he breathed his last and attained Mahaparinirvana on 6th December 1956.
Delhi Launched 'Mission Buniyaad'
- The Delhi government has launched the "Mission Buniyaad" scheme to improve learning levels of children from classes 3 to 9.
- Primary education falls within the ambit of the Municipal Corporations of Delhi (MCDs) while the Delhi government is supposed to offer education from classes 6 to 12.
65th National Film Awards 2017 - The complete List
- The 65th National Film Awards 2017 were announced on April 13, 2018, by the Chairpersons of the juries on Feature Films, Best Writing on Cinema and members of Dadasaheb Phalke Award and Non-Feature films.
- The Feature Film Central panel was headed by Shri Shekhar Kapur, an eminent filmmaker known for his works in Hindi cinema and international cinema.
- The Non- Feature Film panel was headed by Shri. Nakul Kamte and the Best Cinema on Writing jury by Shri.Anant Vijay.
- The National Film Awards would be presented by Hon’ble President of India on May 3rd, 2018.
- The Jury Chairpersons of the 65th National Film Awards had submitted its report to the Minister of Information & Broadcasting, Smt. Smriti Zubin Irani on 12.04.2018.
Dadasaheb Phalke Award for Vinod Khanna
- Veteran Hindi film actor Shri Vinod Khanna was awarded the Dadasaheb Phalke Award for his contribution to Indian Cinema.
Best Feature Film -‘Village Rockstars’
- Assamese movie ‘Village Rockstars’ in Best Feature Film category
Best Popular Film - "Baahubali - The Conclusion"
- ‘Baahubali - The Conclusion’ in the Best Popular Film providing Wholesome Entertainment category.
Indira Gandhi Award - ‘Sinjar’
- Indira Gandhi Award For Best Debut Film Of A Director was given to the Jasari language movie ‘Sinjar’ directed by Pampally.
Nargis Dutt, Best Feature Film On National Integration - ‘Dhappa’
- Marathi Movie ‘Dhappa’ was awarded the Nargis Dutt Award For Best Feature Film On National Integration.
Best Director: Jayaraj for Bhayanakam (Malayalam)
Best Music Direction: A R Rahman for Kaatru Veliyidai (Tamil)
Best Actress: Sridevi for Mom
Best Actor: Ridhhi Sen, Nagar Kirtan
Best Child Artist: Bhanita Das (Village Rockstars)
Best Choreography: Toilet Ek Prem Katha (Ganesh Acharya is the choreographer)
Best Regional Film: Ladhakh
Best Marathi Film: Kaccha Limbu
Best Malayam Film: Thondimuthalum Driksakshiyum
Best Hindi Film: Newton
Best Bengali Film: Mayurakshi
Best Assamese Film: Ishu
Best Tamil Film: To Let
Best Telugu film: Gazi
Best Gujarati film: DHH
Best Kannada film: Hebbettu Ramakka
Best Film playback Singer: Shasha Tirupati (Vaan Varuvaan song)
Best Male Playback Singer: Yesudas
Best supporting actress: Divya Dutta, Irada (Hindi Film)
Best Supporting Actor: Fahadh Faasil
Download The Complete List of 65th National Film Awards 2017 - Click Here
CWG 2018: India’s youngest gold medallist "Anish Bhanwala"
- 15 years old Anish Bhanwala created history by becoming the youngest ever gold medallist at the Commonwealth Games (CWG) for India.
- The 15-year-old bagged the top prize in the men’s 25m Rapid Fire Pistol event in Gold Coast, Australia.
- The nation in paying homage to Bharat Ratna Baba Saheb Dr. B.R. Ambedkar on his 128th birth anniversary on April 14, 2018.
Download PDF Format of Current Affairs and GK Today April 15th 2018 - Click Here