Current Affairs and GK: April 01, 2018 - Download as PDF
Nepal launched first “accessible” trekking trail in Pokhara city
- Nepal has launched its first “accessible” trekking trail in Pokhara city for the differently-abled and the elderly persons.
- The trail was inaugurated as a part of three-day international conference on "Accessible Tourism’ held for the first time in the Himalayan nation from March 29 to March 31 in Pokhara.
Nobel Peace Prize winner Malala Yousafzai visits hometown in Pakistan's Swat Valley
- Pakistan’s Nobel Peace Prize winner Malala Yousafzai on March 31st 2018, arrived in her hometown of Mingora for the first time since a Taliban militant shot her there in 2012 for advocating girls’ education.
- The 20-year-old Yousafzai had asked authorities to allow her to go to Mingora and Shangla village in the Swat Valley, where a school has been built by her Malala Fund.
Russia expelled diplomats from 23 countries
- Russia expelled diplomats from 23 countries on March 30, 2018 in retaliation against the West in a spy row, in the biggest wave of tit-for-tat expulsions in recent memory, almost all of them European Union member states to tell them that some of their diplomats have to leave.
South Korea-United States Joint Military Drills 'Foal Eagle 2018' - Started
- South Korea and the United States on April 01 2018 Started their joint military drills on the Korean Peninsula. over 11,500 service members, including those from outside South Korea are planning to participate, along with at least 300,000 South Korean troops in the four-week 'Foal Eagle' training.
- The drills are expected to wrap up ahead of the third inter-Korean Summit scheduled to be held on April 27, in the border village of Panmunjom, located along the heavily guarded Demilitarised Zone (DMZ), which acts as the de facto border between the two Koreas.
- Foal Eagle is a combined field training exercise (FTX) conducted annually by the Republic of Korea Armed Forces and the United States Armed Forces under the auspices of the Combined Forces Command.
North Korea interested to Participate in Tokyo, Beijing Olympics
- Thomas Bach, President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) met North Korean leader Korea Kim Jong Un on March 31, 2018 to express his gratitude for North Korea's contribution in the 23rd Winter Olympics that took place at Pyeongchang.
- After participating in the Pyeongchang Winter Olympics, North Korea would soon take part in the next Olympic events in Japan and China.
E-Way Bill System introduced from 01st April 2018 for Inter-State movement of goods
- The e-way Bill System for Inter-State movement of goods across the country is being introduced from 01st April 2018. Amendments made to E-Way bill Rules on 7th March 2018.
EWay Bill System
- E-Way Bill is an electronic way bill for movement of goods which can be generated on the eWay Bill Portal. Transport of goods of more than Rs. 50,000 (Single Invoice/bill/delivery challan) in value in a vehicle cannot be made by a registered person without an eway bill.
Tamil Nadu Government initiate contempt proceedings against the Union government
- Tamil Nadu Government on Saturday moved the Supreme Court to initiate contempt proceedings against the Union government for its “wilful disobedience” in not implementing the court’s February 16 judgment in the Cauvery dispute.
Cauvery Management Board (CMB)
- The Cauvery Management Board (CMB) and the Cauvery Water Regulation Committee as per the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal’s order of 2007. As per the February 16, 2018 judgment in the appeals, the Centre had to frame the scheme in six weeks. The deadline ended on March 29.
49 persons killed in over 1,100 encounters in UP since March 2017
- Yogi Adityanath’s Uttar Pradesh State Since March 2017, 49 persons have been killed in over 1,100 encounters, more than 370 have been injured and over 3,300 arrested across the State.
NHAI Projects of 7,400 km worth Rs. 1,22,000 crore awarded in Financial Year 2017-18
- In Financial Year 2017-18, NHAI has awarded 150 road projects of 7,400 km worth Rs. 1,22,000 crore. In last 5 years, the average length of road projects awarded by NHAI was 2,860 km with 4,335 Km awarded in the last financial year.
- NHAI has given a good beginning for ambitious “Bharatmala Pariyojana” approved by the Government in Oct., 2017, which is to be implemented with a very stiff target of 5 years (2017-18 to 2021-22)
National Highway Authority of India (1988)
- The NHAI was created through the promulgation of the National Highways Authority of India Act, 1988. The National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) is an autonomous agency of the Government of India, responsible for management of a network of over 50,000 km of National Highways out of 1,15,000 km in India.
- Deepak Kumar, IAS is the current Chairman, while Dr. Yogendra Narain, IAS was the first Chairman of NHAI.
Integral Coach Factory (ICF), Chennai flagged off the 2,500th Stainless Steel Coach
- The Integral Coach Factory (ICF) registered a new record-high production of coaches by building 2,503 in 2017-18, thus surpassing last year's figure of 2277 coaches.2,500th coach made of stainless steel. The non-AC day coach will have a seating capacity of 102 and has been made with technology from Linke-Hoffman Busch, Germany.
- Aluminium Body Train 20: ICF chennai plan to acquire technology from Europe and Germany to manufacture coaches with aluminium body which would be rolled out by 2020 and called Train 20
Seven terrorists Killed in Dargad Encounter, Jammu and Kashmir
- Two encounters between terrorists and security forces in Shopian's Dargad village, Jammu and Kashmir, bodies of seven terrorists including top commanders have been recovered. two army personnel have also been injured in each of the encounters.
V K Singh to leave for Iraq to bring back bodies of 39 Indians
- Minister of State for External Affairs General V K Singh (retd) will leave for Mosul to bring back the mortal remains of the 39 Indians who were killed in the war-torn country on April 01, 2018.
- On March 20, External Affairs Minister (EAM) Sushma Swaraj informed the Rajya Sabha members in the Parliament that the 39 Indian nationals, who went missing in Mosul in 2014, were killed by the terror outfit Islamic State (IS).
- The 39 persons, most of whom hailed from Punjab, were working on projects near Mosul when they were kidnapped.
Government to divest 76% stake in Air India
- Government has unveiled plans to sell up to 76 percent stake in Air India and transfer the management control to private players, starting the ambitious strategic disinvestment process for the debt-laden national carrier.
M.L. Srivastava appointed as Protem Chairman of the Lalit Kala Akademi
- On the recommendation of the Minister of Culture, the President has appointed M.L. Srivastava, Joint Secretary (Akademies), Ministry of Culture as Protem Chairman of the Lalit Kala Akademi with immediate effect. He will continue to hold the office till a regular Chairman is appointed.
Sloane Stephens wins Miami Open Tennis title 2018
- Sloane Stephens from United States of America, beat Latvian Jelena Ostapenko 7-6 (7-5) 6-1 to wins her first Miami Open title 2018.
Ajit Singh will be the head of "BCCI Anti Corruption Unit"
- The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) named former Director General of Police (Rajasthan), Ajit Singh, as the head of its Anti Corruption Unit (ACU) on March 1, 2018.
Andhra Pradesh laid the foundation stone for a new 'Green' Bus-Manufacturing Plant
- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu on March 31st 2018, laid the foundation stone for a new 'green' bus-manufacturing plant of Ashok Leyland, the flagship company of Hinduja group.
- The green field factory will be the first plant of Ashok Leyland in the Andhra Pradesh State. The plant is situated at the Model Industrial Park, Mallavalli village in Krishna district.
Australia win Women's T20 tri-series 2018
- Australia have lifted women's T20 cricket tri-series beating England by 57 runs in Mumbai today. Chasing a victory target of 210 runs, England made 152 runs at the loss of 9 wickets in the stipulated 20 overs. Earlier, Australia scored 209 with captain Meg Lanning's 88 not out from 45 balls.
- Sports Awards
Telangana Sports Journalists Association annual awards for 2017 - Announced
- Indian women's cricket team captain Mithali Raj was adjudged 'Sportsperson of the Year' while ace shuttlers Kidambi Srikanth and P V Sindhu bagged the best senior male and female athletes at the Telangana Sports Journalists Association annual awards for 2017 in Hyderabad on March 31st 2018.
- Sportsperson of the Year Award - Mithali Raj
- Best Senior Male Athlete Award - Srikanth
- Best Senior Female Athlete Award - PV Sindhu
- Best Coach of the Year Award - Gopichand
- Lifetime Achievement award - N Mukesh Kumar
Easter Day Celebrated on April 1, 2018
- Easter 2018 in India celebrated by the Christians community on Sundy 1st April 2018.
- Easter, also called or Resurrection Sunday, is a festival and holiday celebrating the resurrection of Jesus from the dead, described in the New Testament as having occurred on the third day of his burial after his crucifixion by the Romans at Calvary c. 30 AD.
- It is the culmination of the Passion of Jesus, preceded by Lent (or Great Lent), a forty-day period of fasting, prayer, and penance.
Hanuman Jayanthi celebrated on March 31st 2018
- Hanuman Jayanthi or Hanuman Janam-Utsav is a Hindu religious festival that celebrates the birth of Lord Sri Hanuman, who is immensely venerated throughout India and Nepal. This festival is celebrated on different days in different parts of India.