TNSPC General Knowledge: 74th anniversary of Quit India Movement
08.08.2016 - 74th Anniversary of Quit India Movement or Civil Disobedience
Quit India Movement
- 08.08.2016 is the 74th anniversary of Quit India Movement or Civil Disobedience or August Kranti movement launched at the Bombay session of All India Congress Commiittee on 8th August 1942.
- The movement was started by Mahatma Gandhi during the World war II demanding an end to the British rule in India. Launching a mass protest, the movement demanded an orderly British withdrawal from India.
- Many Congressmen and other participating in the movement were jailed and most remained in jail till the end of World war.
- To mark the day, Maharashtra Government would launch Quit India 2-from Swaraaj to Suraaj initiative tomorrow which would emphasise on freedom from illiteracy, farmer suicide, wastage of water, addiction among youth and corruption.
- The government will commemorate the leaders who fought for our freedom and take a pledge for holistic development of the nation at the August Kranti Maidan in Mumbai. Many acitivities and contests will take place as part of this initiative and chief minister will award the winners.