TNPSC Current Affairs June 5-12, 2016 (English)
Current Affairs June 2016 (English)
Tnpsc Current Affairs June 5-12, 2016
Tnpsc Current Affairs June 5-12, 2016
(Weekly Current Affairs in English)
Current Affairs -World
1. New York city Street renamed Muhammed Ali Way
- New York city renamed a west 33rd street out side Madison Square Garden Mumammed Ali Way, where Ali's some greatest fights took place in America's entertainment Capital.
2. India, Japan and US begin Malabar Exercise near South China Sea
- India, Japan and the US kicked off their marine war games, Malabar Exercise, near South China Sea. The 8-day joint exercises will see in action over 100 aircraft and 22 naval ships including a nuclear submarine.
- The exercise assumes significance as it is being conducted close to South China Sea at a time when Chinese assertiveness in the region is a raging issue. It aims to achieve deeper military ties and greater interoperability amid rising tensions in the region.
3. Prime Minister Homage to Kalpana Chawla
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi Paying Homage to Indian American astronaut later Kalpana Chawla at Arlington National Cemetery, Washington. Mr. Modi also had a brief interaction with the husband and family members of Chawla, senior officials from NASA, Indian-American astronaut Sunitha Williams and her father at Space Shuttle Columbia Memorial.
4. 764 Swine flu deaths in Brazil
- A total of 764 people have died of H1N1 influenza virus, also known as swine flu , in Brazil so far this year the ministry of Heath said.
5. World Flute Festival in New Delhi
- The 7th edition of Raasrang World Flute Festival going to held in New Delhi, with the aim of to propagate the message of global peace. The 5-day festival set to begin of September 21, 2016.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi said India is poised to contribute to the global economic development as a New Engine of Growth, in his address to the American Business Community at the annual gala fo the Us India Business Council at Washington on 08.06.2016.
7. 10000 Migrants deaths in Mediterranean sea
- United Nations Said, More than 10000 people have died crossing the Mediterranean to Europe since 2014, and asked to European Union unveiled fresh plans to stem the migrant flow from Africa.
8. India, EFTA agree to address issues to resume FTA talks
- India and the European Free Trade Association (EFTA) agreed to resolve the outstanding issues for resumption of long-stalled negotiations for a proposed free trade agreement. A meeting between the chief negotiators of India and EFTA was held in New Delhi to take stock of the ongoing negotiations for Trade and Economic Partnership Agreement. The four EFTA members are Switzerland, Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein.
9. France to Launch smart phone "Terror Alert" App
- A new smart phone app designed to alert users to possible terror attacks will be launched by the Frenceh Government, amid growing security concerns over the Euro 2016 football tournament.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi concluded his successful visit to Switzerland while it extended support for India's NSG membership. On black money issue, Switzerland announced that there is some progress made on India's concerns over the issue and a swiss delegation will visit India soon to further the progress made so far on the issue. He further said the two countries have agreed to support each other for their respective bids for the non-permanent membership of the UNSC. The Prime Minister mentioned about successful Indo-Swiss collaborations and usefulness indo Swiss sports partnerships like Sania Mirza and Martin's Hingis.
11.India and US to pursue new opportunities to bolster economic growth, peace and security
- India and US pledged to pursue new opportunities to bolster economic growth and sustainable development, promote peace and security. In a joint statement both countries reiterated their commitment to strengthen inclusive, democratic governance and respect for universal human rights. Both the leaders welcomed the start of preparatory work on site in India for six AP 1000 reactors to be built by Westinghouse and noted the intention of India and the U.S. Export-Import Bank to work together toward a competitive financing package for the project.
- The United States and India also announced creation of a $20 million US-India Clean energy Finance (USICEF) initiative, equally supported by the United States and India, which is expected to mobilize up to $400 million to provide clean and renewable electricity to up to 1 million households by 2020. United States strongly backs India's bid to enter Nuclear Suppliers Group, support on NSG and Missile Technology Control Regime MTCR; the two leaders in their seventh meeting break new grounds in the areas of Defence, Civil Nuclear cooperation and Trade.
12. World Oceans Day being observed on 08.06.2016
- World Oceans Day is being observed on 08.06.2016. It is annually observed on June 8 to raise awareness of the challenges humanity faces to protect the world's oceans. The theme of this year is “Healthy Oceans, Healthy Planet”. World Oceans Day was first introduced in 1992 to raise awareness of the crucial role the sea plays as sources of food, oxygen and medicine. It was officially recognized by the United Nations in 2008.
- Thailand has become the first Asian country to eliminate mother-to-child transmission of HIV. Describing the elimination as a remarkable achievement and a milestone in the fight against the disease, World Health Organisation 08.06.2016 said, Thailand has demonstrated to the world that HIV can be defeated
- India will soon open another consulate in Seattle to cater to the needs of large number of Indian-Americans living in the northwestern part of the United States. This was stated in a joint statement issued after talks between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and US President Barack Obama at the White House on 07.08.2016
Current Affairs - India
15. DD Kisan completes a year of farmer service
- DD Kisan, world's first television channel dedicated to the farmers and rural development completes one year on 26th May, 2016. DD Kisan is providing farmers with information about the latest techniques and procedures about various crops to the farmers. The channel is actively collaborating with agricultural scientists from reputed government institutes in the matter.
16. INS Vikramaditya: Toxic gas leak - 2 killed on board
- Two people, including a civilian, were killed and another two injured following leakage of toxic fumes from the sewage plant on board Russian-made aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya, which was undergoing repairs at Karwar in Karnataka.
17. India ranked 2nd on GRD index
- India has jumped 13 positions from last year to rank second among 30 developing countries this year on ease of doing business. According to 2016 Global Retail Development Index (GRDI), which ranks top 30 developing countries for retail investment worldwide, a pick up in GDP growth and better clarity regarding FDI regulations have helped India achieve a second ranking.
18. India denies Google’s Street View
- India has rejected Google’s plans to put Indian cities, tourists’ spots, hills and rivers in an application in which one can explore through 360-degree, panoramic and street-level imagery. The Home Ministry has conveyed to Google that its plans to cover India through the Google Street View are rejected. By security agencies and defence forces which feel that allowing Google to cover India would compromise country’s security interest.
19. India got Membership of MTCR
- The Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR) is an informal and voluntary partnership among 35 countries to prevent the proliferation of missile and unmanned aerial vehicle technology capable of carrying a 500 kg payload for at least 300 km. Membership of MTCR will help India procure high-end missile technology and surveillance systems by leading manufacturers which are allowed to be accessed only by MTCR member countries.
20. Centre to introduce International Yoga Award Scheme
- The Centre has decided to introduce International Yoga Award Scheme with a view to promote yoga. The AYUSH Ministry said, it is working on the scheme and will start giving the award from 2017.
21. Singapore Technical Institute Set up centres in India
- Singapore's Institute of Technical Education will help set up vocational skill centres across India to train youths to fulfill the requirements of skilled manpower. The ITE Education services first of which is slated to commence training from september 27 in Rajasthan, coinciding with World Tourism Day.
- In Bihar, Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu flagged off Champaran Satyagrah Express train at a function in Motihari 10.06.2016. This train will run between Bapudham, Motihari to Anand VIhar, Delhi.
23. Indian Forex reserves at all-time high of $363.46 bn
- Country's foreign exchange reserves has increased by 3.27 billion US Dollars to hit an all-time high of 363.46 billion US dollars in the week to June 3, 2016. According to RBI release issued in Mumbai, the reserves had earlier touched a record high of 363.12 billion US dollars in the week to April 29, 2016.
24. Vibhadra Singh Questioned by CBI
- Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Vibhadra Singh Questioned by CBI for second consecutive day in connection with an alleged disproportionate assets case against him.
26. Speaker of Puducherry Assembly is V Vaithialingam
- In Puducherry, Congress leader and former Chief Minister V Vaithialingam was today elected unopposed as the Speaker of the legislative Assembly. He has been the Chief Minister of the Union Territory twice. Pro-tem Speaker VP Shivakozhuthu was declared elected unopposed as the Deputy Speaker.
27. Gadkari launches Setu Bhartam project in Himachal Pradesh
- Union Minister for Road Transport, Surface and shipping Nitin Gadkari launched Setu Bhartam project in Himachal Pradesh from Palampur town in the Kangra District. Under the programme five Over Bridge ORB would be constructed on railway crossing in Shimla amd Kangra districts with sum of five hundred crore rupees.
28. Narayanasamy sworn in as Puducherry CM
31. France Jimmy Vicaut Clocks sesson-best 100m of 9.86 seconds
- Congress Legislature Party leader V Narayanasamy sworn in as Chief Minister of the Union Territory of Puducherry. Lt. Governor Kiran Bedi administered the oath of office and secrecy at a function held at the historic Gandhi Thidal in Beach Road. Congress legislators A Namassivayam, Shah Jahan, M Kandasamy, R Kamalkannan and Malladi Krishna Rao were sworn in as ministers.
29. Govt sets target of disbursing Rs 1.80 lakh crore under Mudra Yojna
- Government has set a target of disbursing Rs 1.80 lakh crore under Pradhan Mantri MUDRA Yojana in 2016-17. This is 50 per cent more than last year's target of 1.22 lakh crore.
Current Affairs - Sports June 2016
30. European Football Tournament Euro 2016 Begins in France
- Europe's biggest football extravaganza, Euro 2016 begins in France 10 June, 2016. 24-teams will vie for the supremacy in European football, during the one month-long marathon.
- Jimmy Vicaut of France won the 100m race in Montreuil in a time of 9.86 seconds, equalling his own European record of the process. His time is the quickest 10m run anywhere this year, and others Femi Ogunnode (9.91), Kim Colins (9.93), Jistin Gatlin (9.93) and Usain Bilt (9.98).
32. Rio Olympics: Paes will play with Rohan Bopanna
- Leander Paes will be going to the 2016 Rio Olympics after the All India Tennis Association (AITA) cleared his name to partner with Rohan Bopanna.
33. Cristiano Ronaldo tops as World's highest-paid athletes
- Cristiano Ronaldo has become the first athlete from a team sport in almost 20 years to top Forbes annual list of the World's Highest Paid Athletes. The financial magazine has calculated the earnings, including all salaries, prize-winnings and bonuses earned by active athletes between June 1st, 2015 and June 1st, 2016. Ronaldo, with earnings of 88 million US Dollars, takes the top spot for the first time, which is also the first time for a soccer player.
34. Serena Williams - World's Highest-paid Sportswoman
- Forbes Magazine reports, Serena Williams has overtaken Maria Sharapova as World's Highest-paid Sportswoman, serena earned $28.9 million over the past 12 months. Russioan Tennis star Sharapova had held the title for the past 11 years.
35. Novak Djokovic claims 1st French Open Tennis title
- World number one Novak Djokovic beat Britain's Andy Murray 3-6, 6-1, 6-2, 6-4 to win his first French Open title and complete the career Grand Slam. Djokovic won his 12th major title and became the first man since Rod Laver in 1969 to hold all four Grand Slams at once. He becomes only the eighth man in history to have won all four of the sport's major singles prizes - and could yet match Laver's achievement of winning all four in a calendar year.
36. India to host junior Hockey World Cup
- The city of Lucknow will host the junior men’s hockey World Cup from December 8 to 18, the International Hockey Federation (FIH) announced. The event will feature 16 teams—defending champions Germany, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Egypt, England, Germany, India, Japan, Korea, Netherlands, South Africa, New Zealand, Pakistan and Spain. While the men’s competition takes place in December, the women’s Hockey Junior World Cup takes place shortly beforehand in Santiago, Chile between 24 November and 4 December. India will not be part of that event.
37. Six Russian weightlifters banned for doping
- The Russian anti-doping agency says, six weightlifters, including former world and European junior champions have been banned for doping offenses. The agency says 2014 world junior champion Larisa Kobeleva received a four-year ban and Nadezhda Ovchinnikova, the European junior champion in 2014, was banned for two years.
38. Centre announces up gradation of two sports stadia in J&K
- Centre will upgrade two major sports stadia of Jammu and Kashmir at a cost of 42 crore rupees. These are the Maulana Azad Stadium in Jammu and Bakshi Stadium in Srinagar.
39. Abhinav Bindra chosen as India's flagbearer at Rio Olympics
- Olympic champion shooter Abhinav Bindra was today chosen as the flagbearer of the Indian contingent at the Rio Games' opening ceremony on August 5. The Indian Olympic Association (IOA) confirmed that they have chosen the 2008 Beijing Olympic gold medallist as the country's flagbearer for the quadrennial extravaganza. Bindra will be making his fifth Olympic appearance this year.
40. Ghosh reaches a new career-high of 61 in ITTF rankings
- India's four Rio Olympic Games qualifiers in Table Tennis - Soumyajit Ghosh, Achanta Sharath Kamal, Mouma Das and Manika Batra - have shown considerable improvement in their world rankings. According to the latest ITTF rankings, Ghosh has jumped four places to be at No. 61 from No. 65 while Sharath Kamal, who was 73 last month, now occupies slot No. 69. Manika Batra, who was occupying the No. 128 position last month, has moved 13 places up the ladder to be at 115, the best thus far for the reigning National champion.
41. Indian judoka Avtar Singh qualifies for Rio Olympic Games
- South Asian Games gold medallist Indian judoka Avtar Singh has qualified for the Rio Olympic Games under 90kg weight category. According to an official statement of the International Judo Federation, Avtar has qualified for the Olympic under the continental quota. His World Ranking is now 79 with 182 points.
42. Vijender to face former Euro champ Kerry Hope in WBO title bout
- Former European champion Kerry Hope was unveiled as Indian boxing star Vijender Singh's opponent for the eagerly-anticipated WBO Asia title bout to be held on July 16 in the national capital.
43. Bopanna officially enters top-10, secures direct entry for Rio Olympics
- Indian tennis star Rohan Bopanna today officially returned to top-10 in the ATP ranking doubles chart, securing a direct entry into the men's doubles event of the Rio Olympic Games.
- India's first Mr Universe Manohar Aich passed away in Kolkata. 104-year-old bodybuilder Manohar Aich, died at his Baguiati residence this afternoon, according to family sources. Aich, who turned 104 on March 17, was once a household name in Bengal after becoming India's first Mr Universe in 1952.
45. 17th Asian Junior Championship
- India finish third at 17th Asian Junior Championships with 17 medals held at Ho Chi Minh city , Vietnam. India Bagged 7 gold, 4 silver and 6 bronze with overall 17 medal, while Japan topped the table with 14 gold medals follwoed by china with 11 golds.
46. Tamil Nadu teen IM Visakh becomes first Indian to win Mayor's chess
- Tamil Nadu teenager and International Master NR Visakh created history by becoming the first Indian to clinch the Mumbai Mayor's International Open Chess Tournament and lead a top-three sweep in Mumbai.The arbiters declared Visakh (ELO 2400) as the champion on a better tie-break as he reached a draw with Ghosh in 16 moves.