TNPSC Current Affairs: BBBP Scheme
Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao
Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP) was launched by the Prime Minister on 22nd January, 2015 at Panipat, Haryana.
BBBP addresses the declining Child Sex Ratio (CSR) and related issues of Women Empowerment over a life-cycle continuum. It is a Tri-Ministerial effort of Ministries of Women and Child Development, Health & Family Welfare and Human Resource Development.
- The key elements of the scheme include Enforcement of PC & PNDT Act, Nation-Wide awareness and advocacy campaign and multi-sectoral action in select 100 districts (low on CSR) in the first phase.
- There is a strong emphasis on mindset change through training, sensitization, awareness raising and community mobilization on ground.
The Background of the Scheme:
- The trend of decline in the Child Sex Ratio (CSR), defined as number of girls per 1000 of boys between 0-6 years of age, has been unabated since 1961.
- The decline from 945 in 1991 to 927 in 2001 and further to 918 in 2011 is alarming. The decline in the CSR is a major indicator of women dis-empowerment.
- CSR reflects both, pre-birth discrimination manifested through gender biased sex selection, and post birth discrimination against girls.
- Social construct discriminating against girls on the one hand, easy availability, affordability and subsequent misuse of diagnostic tools on the other hand, have been critical in increasing Sex Selective Elimination of girls leading to low Child Sex Ratio.
- Since coordinated and convergent efforts are needed to ensure survival, protection and empowerment of the girl child, Government has announced Beti Bachao Beti Padhao initiative.
- This is being implemented through a national campaign and focussed multi sectoral action in 100 selected districts low in CSR, covering all States and UTs.
The Objectives of this BBBP are:
- Prevention of Gender Biased Sex Selective Elimination
- Ensuring Survival & Protection of the Girl Child
- Ensuring Education and Participation of the Girl Child