GK Today: World Pi Day, 14 March 2018 - Notes
|World Pi Day, 14 March 2018|
- Pi Day is celebrated on March 14th (3/14) around the world. Pi (Greek letter “π”) is the symbol used in mathematics to represent a constant-the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter-which is approximately 3.14159.
- Pi has been calculated to over one trillion digits beyond its decimal point. As an irrational and transcendental number, it will continue infinitely without repetition or pattern.
- While only a handful of digits are needed for typical calculations, Pi’s infinite nature makes it a fun challenge to memorize, and to computationally calculate more and more digits.
About Pi (π)
- Pi (π) is the ratio of a circle’s circumference to its diameter. Pi is a constant number, meaning that for all circles of any size, Pi will be the same.
- The diameter of a circle is the distance from edge to edge, measuring straight through the center. The circumference of a circle is the distance around.