TNPSC Current Affairs October 20-24, 2017 (English) PDF download
56th Raising Day Parade of Indo-Tibetan Border Police held in Greater Noida
- The Union Home Minister Shri Rajnath Singh attended the 56th Raising Day Parade of Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) at 39th Bn, ITBP, Lakhnawali Camp, Surajpur, Greater Noida on 24.10.2017.
India’s first Roll On-Roll Off (Ro-Ro) ferry service Opened in Gujrat
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched India’s first Roll On-Roll Off (Ro-Ro) ferry service between Ghogha in Bhavnagar district and Dahej in Bharuch district, which will facilitate vehicular and passenger ferry services across the Gulf of Cambay in Gujarat.
- Ghogha-Dahej Ferry Service will reduce the distance between the two coastal towns from 310 km by road to 30 km, saving time and money.
- The travel time will be cut by at least 5 hours. The ferry will be able to carry up to 100 vehicles (cars, buses and trucks) and 250 passengers between the two ports.
Andhra Pradesh and NRCB signed a pact to develop technologies relating to banana production
- National Research Centre for Banana (NRCB) Tiruchi has recently signed a Memorandum of Cooperation (MoC) with the Andhra Pradesh government to develop technologies relating to banana production.
- The agreement, NRCB will be the knowledge partner in developing technologies towards value chain management, supporting banana export, organic production and waste utilisation.
India’s first Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Kendra (PMKK) launched in New Delhi
- India’s first Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Kendra (PMKK) for Skilling in Smart Cities has launched in New Delhi under Skill India Mission in collaboration with New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC).
- It was inaugurated by Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh along with Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas and Skill Development and Entrepreneurship Dharmendra Pradhan on October 23, 2017.
Madhya Pradesh launched Bhavantar Bhugtan Yojna (BBY) for farmers
- Shivraj Singh Chouhan, the Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh, has launched the ambitious ‘Bhavantar Bhugtan Yojna’ for the farmers of the state at the Krishi Upaj Mandi in Khurai, Sagar.
- The scheme Launched as a guarantee to ensure reasonable prices to the farmers for their agriculture produces.
2017 International Children's Film Festival (ICFFI) to be held on Hyderabad
- 20th International Children's Film Festival (ICFFI) to be held in Hyderabad between November 8 and 14, 2017.
- The festival, also called 'The Golden Elephant', being organised by Children's Film Society, India (CFSI), will be hosted by the Telangana government jointly with CFSI and the Union Ministry of Information and Broadcasting.
- 2017 Children's Film Festival is 'New India'.
Rakesh Asthana will be the New "CBI special director"
- Gujarat-cadre IPS officer Rakesh Asthana has been appointed the special director of the CBI.
- Asthana, a 1984-batch IPS officer, had been serving in the Central Bureau of Investigation as additional director.
Dineshwar Sharma appointeed as Representative of Government of India for Jammu and Kashmir
- Shri Dineshwar Sharma, former Director of Intelligence Bureau, as the Representative of Government of India to initiate and carry forward a dialogue with the elected representatives, various organizations and concerned individuals in the State of Jammu and Kashmir.
- Shri Sharma will initiate a sustained interaction and dialogue to understand the legitimate aspirations of the wide cross sections of society, particularly the youth in Jammu and Kashmir and communicate them to the State Government and the Centre.
- The move comes in the wake of various steps taken by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi to address the needs of the people of Jammu and Kashmir.
Kerala govt prohibits using 'Dalit', 'Harijan' in official communications
- The Kerala Information and Public Relations Department's internal circular has directed to avoid usage of words "Dalit" and "Harijan" in its official communications.
- The order was issued based on the directive from Kerala State Commission for Scheduled Castes (SC) and Scheduled Tribes (ST) Chairman Justice P N Vijayakumar.
- The department informed that the government has also banned the usage of word "Keezhalar" which was used to refer to scheduled communities.
Arunachal Assembly approves "Kamle" as 23rd district
- The Arunachal Assembly passed a bill paving way for creation of a new district to be named Kamle. With the official creation of the new district, the total number of districts in the state shot up to 23.
- Chief Minister Pema Khandu introduced the Arunachal Pradesh Re-Orgaisation of Districts (Amendment) Bill 2017 in the Assembly on October 14.
- Kamle district, constituting the eastern part of Lower Subansiri district and western part of Upper Subansiri district, would have a population of 22,256 of homogeneous people.
India's Space mission to Moon 'Chandrayaan- II' in 2018
- The Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) of the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER), MoS PMO, Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space, Dr Jitendra Singh has said that India’s Space Mission to Moon, “Chandrayaan-II”, will take place in 2018, most likely in the first quarter of the year.
IPPB appoints "Suresh Sethi as its MD & CEO"
- India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) has appointed Mr. Suresh Sethi, the former MD of Vodafone M-Pesa Ltd. as its Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer. Mr. Sethi had been selected by the Banks Board Bureau from amongst top contenders for the post, from both public and private sector Banking and Fintech professionals.
- IPPB has been incorporated as a Public Limited Company under the Department of Posts with 100% GOI equity. IPPB plans to leverage the unparalleled reach of the India Post network to achieve a Pan India roll out of 650 branches by early next year.
Alok Kumar Pateria appointed as "ADG, CISF"
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved the appointment of Shri Alok Kumar Pateria, IPS (MP:86) as Additional Director General, CISF on deputation basis for a period upto 31.05.2020 i.e. date of his superannuation from the date of assumption of charge of the post or until further orders, whichever is earlier.
GSTN launches excel-based offline tool to file initial GSTR-3B returns
- Goods and Services Tax Network (GSTN) has launched an excel-based offline tool for businesses to file initial GSTR- 3B returns. GSTN, in a statement in New Delhi, said that taxpayers can download the offline utility from the GSTN portal and after fill in the data the file can be uploaded on GST portal.
CORPAT 2017 - Bi-Lateral Exercise between India and Indonesia started at Belawan Indonesia
- In pursuance with India’s ‘Act East Policy’, Indian Naval Ship Sukanya under the command of Commander SA Deodhar, NM arrived at Belawan Indonesia to participate in the 30th edition of CORPAT (Coordinated Patrol) and 3rd Bilateral exercise between the Indian Navy and the Indonesian Navy.
- The exercise is aimed to foster closer maritime ties with countries located on the rim of the Indian Ocean. The upcoming bi-lateral exercise CORPAT scheduled from 24 Oct – 05 Nov 17 is a demonstration of India’s commitment to its ties with Indonesia and to the maritime security in the Indian Ocean Region.
- The two navies have been carrying out Coordinated Patrols (CORPAT) on respective sides of the International Maritime Boundary Line (IMBL) twice a year since 2002.
- The aim of the CORPAT is to enhance mutual understanding and inter-operability between the navies, prosecute vessels involved in unlawful activities, conduct SAR and take measures against Sea Pollution.
2017 ASEAN Defence Minister’s Meeting Plus (ADMM-Plus) meeting in Philippines
- 4th edition of ASEAN Defence Minister’s Meeting Plus (ADMM-Plus) meeting has started in Philippines from October 23, 2017.
- The purpose of the 2-day conference is to promote mutual trust and confidence between defence establishments through greater dialogue and transparency.
- ADMM-Plus conference is also likely to discuss enhancing maritime security cooperation among the member countries. The Indian delegation will be lead by Union defense minister Nirmala Sitharaman.
“INDRA – 2017”- International Tri Services Joint Exercise between India and Russia
- The First-ever International Tri services joint exercise “INDRA – 2017” has started between Indian and Russian Armed Forces at the 249th Combined Army Range Sergiyevisky and in the Sea of Japan near Vladivostok port from October 19, 2017.
- The 11-day exercise will serve towards strengthening mutual confidence and interoperability as well as sharing of the best practices between the armed forces of both the countries.
- The Indian contingent will comprise of 350 personnel from Army, 80 from Air Force, two IL 76 aircraft and one Frigate and Corvette each from the Navy.
Sunny Verghese appointed as the new chairman of WBCSD
- Sunny Verghese, co-founder and Group CEO of Singapore-based Olam International, has been appointed as the new chairman of World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD).
- Verghese is the first ever Asian CEO to be appointed as Chair in the organisation’s 25 years of history. His term will begin on January 1, 2018 for a duration of two years and will succeed Paul Polman, whose term ends on 31 December 2017.
Sibi George appointed next Ambassador of India to Switzerland
- Sibi George has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to Switzerland. He will replace Smita Purushottam. George is presently serving as Joint Secretary in the Ministry of External Aftairs.
- George, a 1993 batch Indian Forest Service (IFS) officer, has also served as deputy chief of mission of Indian embassy in Saudi Arabia.
Jacinda Ardern will be the New PM of New Zealand
- Jacinda Ardern will become New Zealand’s next prime minister 26 days after the country’s electorate cast their votes.Labour party will form a coalition government with NZ First, along with the backing of the Green party, which means Ardern, 37, becomes New Zealand’s third female prime minister.
- Ardern, who also becomes New Zealand’s youngest prime minister for 150 years, said she was committed to forming a strong and durable government.
India won the Men’s "Hockey Asia Cup tournament 2017"
- India’s National field hockey team has won the 10th edition of Men’s Hockey Asia Cup tournament – 2017 by defeating Malaysia in the final by 2-1 at Maulana Bhasani Hockey Stadium in Dhaka, Bangladesh on October 22.
Gaganjeet Bhullar clinched the "Macao Open golf tournament 2017"
- Indian golfer Gaganjeet Bhullar has clinched the 2017 Macao Open golf tournament title to bag his 8th Asian Tour title. As a result, Bhullar etched his name on the Macao Open trophy for the second time having previously won the event in 2012.
Kidambi Srikanth won the "Denmark Open Superseries Badminton tournament 2017"
- Indian shuttler Kidambi Srikanth has won the 2017 Denmark Open Superseries Badminton trophy by defeating South Korea’s Lee Hyun-il in straight games 21-10, 21-5 on October 22 at Odense. Srikanth bagged his third Super Series title of the year and 5th overall. It was the first time Srikanth and Lee had faced each other.
Lewis Hamilton wins "United States Grand Prix 2017"
- Lewis Hamilton passed rival Sebastian Vettel to take a dominant victory in the United States Grand Prix 2017 but will have to wait at least one more race if he is to win a fourth world title.
- The Mercedes driver is 66 points clear of Vettel, who finished second.It means Hamilton is almost certain to win the title in Mexico next weekend.
Cristiano Ronaldo named Best FIFA Men's Player
- Cristiano Ronaldo claimed The Best FIFA Men's Player award for a second straight year, beating his regular rivals, Lionel Messi and Neymar at the 2017 award ceremony in London.
- The four-time Ballon d'Or winner, Real Madrid's Portugal striker helped Real to a Champions League-La Liga double in 2016-17.
- Lieke Martens of Barcelona and the Netherlands won Best female player, Real Madrid's Zinedine Zidane was named Best men's coach and Netherlands' Sarina Wiegman the Best female coach.
- Celtic won the fan award after they honoured the club's 1967 'Lisbon Lions' with a stunning 360-degree card display on the 50th anniversary of their historic European Cup win.
World Statistics Day observed on October 20
- World Statistics Day is observed all over the world on 20 October every year. World Statistics Day was celebrated for the first time on 20th October 2010 throughout the world. The United Nations Statistical Commission declared 20th October as World Statistics Day.
- World Statistics Day highlights the importance of reliable and timely data for informed decision-making by governments and individuals.
World Development Information Day observed on October 24
- The World Development Information Day (WDID) is observed every year on October 24 to draw the attention of the world to development problems and the necessity of strengthening international cooperation to solve them.
Awards and Prizes
"Blue Planet Prize 2017" Announced for Prof Hans Joachim Schellnhuber
- Prof Hans Joachim Schellnhuber from Germany has won the 2017 Blue Planet Prize for establishing a new field of science ‘Earth System Analysis’ and introducing most influential concepts including the notion of tipping elements in the climate system in Tokyo.
- Prof. Gretchen C. Daily (from USA) has also won the award for her work promoting practical conservation by revealing the value of nature. Each will receive a prize of 50 million yen, about $450,000.
- The Blue Planet Prize, which is instituted by Asahi Glass Foundation, is the world’s most prestigious award for pioneers in environmental science.
National Police Commemoration Day (NPCD) is observed on October 21
- The National Police Commemoration Day (NPCD) is observed every year in India on October 21 to mark the memory of brave policemen who sacrificed their lives while discharging their duties.
- The day commemorates the sacrifices of ten policemen while defending our borders with China in 1959.
Dr. Akinwumi Ayodeji Adesina wins "World Food Prize 2017"
- The World Food Prize 2017 goes to Dr. Akinwumi Ayodeji Adesina, President of the African Development Bank Group for helping Africa get it right in agriculture and making it a key player of securing food for the world.
- The official announcement of the Prize was made during a ceremony at the U.S. Department of Agriculture in Washington D.C.
- The prize was founded by Norman E. Borlaug, a native of northeast Iowa who was awarded the 1970 Nobel Peace Prize for his life’s work on feeding the world through the scientific advancements of the Green Revolution.