Tnpsc Current Affairs September 8-16, 2017 (English)
INDO-USA Joint Exercise "Yudh Abhyas 2017" Starts in Washington
- Exercise Yudh Abhyas - 2017, a joint military exercise between Indian and US armies commenced this morning at Joint Base Lewis McChord, Washington, USA.
- During the two week long exercise soldiers from both countries will hone their tactical skills in counter insurgency and counter terrorist operations under a joint brigade headquarter.
- Experts from both sides will hold detailed discussions to share their experience and expertise on varied operational topics.
‘Operation Insaniyat’ started by India to help Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh
- India has started ‘Operation Insaniyat’ to provided assistance to Bangladesh in response to the humanitarian crisis being faced on account of the large influx of Rohingya refugees into that country from Myanmar.
Halimah Yacob declared as the new President of Singapore
- Halimah binti Yacob, the former Speaker of Parliament, has been declared the President-elect of Singapore, after her nomination papers were found to be in order.
- She will be Singapore’s first female President and the first Malay head of state in 47 years.
London topped the 2017 Global Financial Centres Index (GFCI)
- London retained its position as the world’s top financial centre in the 2017 Global Financial Centres Index (GFCI). The index is compiled and published by Z/Yen
- Group, which ranked 92 financial centres globally on factors such as infrastructure and access to high-quality staff.
New York has acquired 2nd position followed by Hongkong, Singapore, Tokyo, Shanghai, etc.
- Joint bilateral air force exercise “Shaheen VI” started between Pakistan and China
- The joint bilateral air force exercise “Shaheen VI” has started between air forces of China and Pakistan in China on September 7, and will run until September 27,
- 2017. The “Shaheen” joint training was launched by the Chinese and Pakistani air forces in March 2011 and has since gone through five major iterations.
International Literacy Day (ILD) is observed on September 8
- The International Literacy Day (ILD) is observed every year on September 8 to emphasize the importance of literacy to individuals, society and communities. The 2017 theme is ‘Literacy in a Digital World’.
World Suicide Prevention Day (WSPD) is observed on September 10
- The World Suicide Prevention Day (WSPD) is observed every year on September 10 to raise awareness about suicide prevention. According to the World Health Organisation (WHO) survey, across the world nearly 800,000 commit suicide each year which is one person every 40 seconds.
Across Barriers-International Business Women’s Summit (ABIBWS) held in at Kathmandu
- The Across Barriers-International Business Women’s Summit (ABIBWS) organized by the South Asian Women Development Forum (SAWDF) at Kathmandu in Nepal from September 11. The basic objective of 2-day summit is to bring together women entrepreneurs from the SAARC, ASEAN, China and some other countries.
Gujarat hosted the 12th edition of the India-Japan annual summit-2017
- The 12th edition of the India-Japan annual summit-2017 has held in Gandhinagar, Gujarat on September 14, 2017. This is the 4th annual summit between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Prime Minister Shinzo Abe.
2017 International Day of Democracy on September 15
- International Day of Democracy is observed every year on September 15 to provide an opportunity to review the state of democracy in the world. The 2017 theme “Democracy and Conflict prevention” focuses on the critical need to strengthen democratic institutions to promote peace and stability.
Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu lays Foundation Stone for the first RVTI in Hyderabad
- Vice President Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu laid the foundation stone in Hyderabad (16.09.2017) for Regional Vocational Training Institute which is the first of its kind for the State of Telangana boosting skill development opportunities among women ready to contribute to the country’s workforce
President Ram Nath Kovind has launched a ‘Swacchata Hi Seva’ campaign in Kanpur
- President Ram Nath Kovind has launched a nationwide campaign ‘Swacchata Hi Sewa’ from Kanpur in Uttar Pradesh on September 15, 2017.
- The fortnight long campaign will conclude on 2nd of October, Gandhi Jayanti. The purpose of the campaign is to mobilize people and reinforce the public movement for sanitation to contribute to Mahatma Gandhi’s dream of a Clean India.
PM will dedicate "Sardar Sarovar Dam" to the Nation
- The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, will dedicate the Sardar Sarovar Dam to the nation, at Kevadia in Gujarat on September 17, 2017.
- The height of the dam was recently raised to 138.68 metres, facilitating a usable storage of 4.73 Million Acre feet (MAF). This will greatly benefit the participating States of Gujarat, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra.
- The project has helped transport the waters of the River Narmada, to the water-deficient areas of Gujarat through an elaborate canal and pipeline network. Irrigation from the project is expected to benefit about 10 lakh farmers, and drinking water to be supplied to various villages and towns, is likely to benefit upto 4 crore people. The project has been described as one of largest ever human endeavours for water transport.
SWACHHTA’ Ranking - 2017 of Higher Educational Institutions
- An award ceremony based on ‘SWACHHTA’ Ranking 2017 of Higher Educational Institutions was held in New Delhi today. Union Human Resource Development Minister, Shri Prakash Javadekar gave away the prizes to the awardees.
- An exercise to rank Higher Educational Institutions (HEIs) on the basis of cleanliness and hygiene has been undertaken and concluded. Parameters for a clean campus were formulated, like student/toilet ratio, kitchen hygiene, availability of running water, modernity of toilet & kitchen equipment, campus green cover, garbage disposal in hostels and academic buildings, disposal techniques, water supply systems and also a certain weightage to whether the institutions has adopted any neighbouring locality or village to spread awareness & activities in Swachhta.
- About 3500 HEIs responded to the online invitation, submitting all their details as per format. The top 174 institutions were shortlisted as per criteria and officials from UGC and AICTE inspected the premises of all 174 institutions. Finally, the top 25 institutions across various categories like Universities, Technical Institutions, Colleges and Government institutions were selected and they were awarded on the occasion. This exercise will help generate peer pressure amongst institutions in the all important area of cleanliness.
2017 National Hindi Day (NHD) is celebrated on September 14
- The National Hindi Day (NHD) is celebrated every year on September 14 across India to mark the language that roots back to Ancient India, in which the scriptures of the Land of Saints and Yogis, Mythological Epics and Glory of various Kingdoms and Dynasties were written.
Rajnath Singh to operationalise the New Intelligence Set-up of SSB on 18th September
- The Union Home Minister Shri Rajnath Singh will operationalise the New Intelligence Set-up of Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) at a function here on September 18, 2017. On the occasion, he will also launch the Welfare and Rehabilitation Board (WARB) App and distribute scholarship to the children of SSB martyrs.
Successful Development Trials of "Astra Missile"
- The final Development Flight Trials of Astra - Beyond Visual Range Air to Air Missile (BVRAAM) were successfully conducted over the Bay of Bengal, Off the Coast of Chandipur, Odisha during 11-14 Sep 2017. A total of seven trials were conducted against Pilotless Target Aircrafts (PTA) successfully.
- The missions included engagement of target at very long range, engagement of high manoeuvring target at medium range and multiple launches of missiles in salvo to engage multiple targets.
India’s First Hyperloop Project in Andhra Pradesh
- India’s first Hyperloop project will come up in Andhra Pradesh, which will connect the city centres of Vijayawada and Amaravati. It will supposedly cover the distance of over 35 km only in five minutes. The Andhra Pradesh – Economic Development Board (AP-EDB) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Hyperloop Transportation Technologies (HTT) for developing the project.
Sushil Kumar Modi committee has been constituted to monitor tech issues of GST
- Union Finance Ministry has constituted a Group of Ministers (GoM) headed by Bihar Deputy Chief Minister Sushil Kumar Modi to monitor and resolve the IT challenges faced in the implementation of GST.
India’s first advanced Homoeopathy Virology Lab in Kolkata
- Shripad Yesso Naik, the Union Minister of State for AYUSH, has inaugurated the India’s first State of art virology laboratory at Dr Anjali Chatterjee Regional Research Institute for Homoeopathy in Kolkata, West Bengal.
Karnataka become the first Indian State to approve e-vehicle policy
- The Karnataka government has recently approved ‘Electric Vehicle and Energy Storage Policy 2017’ to help the state become a hub for production of alternative fuel vehicles, reduce dependency on fossil fuels, bring down pollution levels and push the ‘Make In Karnataka’ initiative.
Viveck Goenka newly elected chairman of Press Trust of India (PTI)
- Viveck Goenka, the CMD of Express Group, has been elected as the new Chairman of Press Trust of India (PTI). He succeeded Riyad Mathew, who is Senior Assistant Editor and a member of the Manorama management. N. Ravi, the former Editor-in-Chief of The Hindu, has been unanimously elected as new Vice Chairman of PTI.
Jaipur hosting the first-ever National Ayurveda Youth Festival (NAYF)
- The first-ever National Ayurveda Youth Festival (NAYF) has started in Jaipur, Rajasthan on September 14, 2017. Approx 3000 youth Ayurveda students and doctors from across the country are participating in the 3-day fest.
North East Festival ‘North-East Calling’ in New Delhi
- Dr Jitendra Singh, the Union Minister for Development of North Eastern Region (DONER), has inaugurated North East Festival ‘North-East Calling’ at India Gate in New Delhi on September 9, 2017.
India’s ranked 103rd in the 2017 Global Human Capital Index (GHCI)
- India has been ranked 103rd out of 130 nations at the 2017 Global Human Capital Index (GHCI). The list compiled by Geneva-based World Economic Forum (WEF) takes into account ‘the knowledge and skills people possess that enable them to create value in the global economic system” to measure the ‘human capital’ rank of a country.
Ajay Bhushan Pandey new interim Chairman of Goods and Services Tax Network (GSTN)
- Ajay Bhushan Pandey, the CEO of Unique Identification Authority of India’s (UIDAI) has been appointed as interim chairman of the Goods and Services Tax Network (GSTN).
Karnataka ranks first in manufacturing excellence according to recent study by ASSOCHAM
- According to a recent study “Manufacturing Excellence and Emergence in India: The state level analysis” conducted by the Associated Chambers of Commerce of India (ASSOCHAM), Karnataka ranks first among states in terms of manufacturing excellence. Kerala stood second despite poor industrial growth over a five-year period from 2009.
Coastal Shipping and Inland Water Transportation Business Summit 2017 in Kerala
- The 5th edition of the ‘Coastal Shipping and Inland Water Transportation Business Summit 2017’ will be held at Hotel Crown Plaza in Kochi, Kerala on September 22.
Colombo hosted the Indo-Sri Lanka Hindi conference 2017
- The Indo-Sri Lanka Hindi conference was organized at Kelaniya University near Colombo with theme ‘Hindi E-learning : Identity and possibilities’ on eve of Hindi Divas celebrations on September 13, 2017.
2018 Junior Asian Wrestling Championship (JAWC) in India
- India will host the 2018 Junior Asian Wrestling Championship (JAWC), which is scheduled to be held from July 19 to 22 in New Delhi.
- The researchers at IIT-Roorkee have developed a low-cost method for treating Osteoarthritis (OA), a disease that causes pain and stiffness in the joints leading to degeneration of the bone cartilage.
Rafael Nadal won the 2017 Men’s singles US Open Tennis tournament
- Rafael Nadal, a Spanish professional tennis player, has won the 2017 men’s singles US Open tennis tournament after defeating first time Grand Slam finalist Kevin Anderson by 6–3, 6–3, 6–4 at Arthur Ashe Stadium in New York, United States. It is Nadal’s 16th Grand Slam title and 3rd US Open title of the career.
Sloane Stephens won the 2017 women’s singles US Open Tennis tournament
- Unseeded American Sloane Stephens has won the 2017 women’s singles US Open tennis tournament after defeating Madison Keys 6-3, 6-0 in the finals at Arthur Ashe Stadium in New York, United States. It is her first grand slam title. With this, Stephens became the second unseeded woman in the Open era to win the US Open after Kim Clijsters in 2009.
India won the 2017 U-16 South Asian Basketball (SABA) Championship
- India has clinched the 2nd Under- 16 South Asian Basketball (SABA) Championship by defeating Bhutan by 131-50 in its last league match at Kathmandu in Nepal on September 9, 2017.
BWF World Senior Badminton Championship has started in Kerala
- The BWF World Senior Badminton Championship has started at Rajiv Gandhi Indoor Stadium in Kochi, Kerala on September 11 and will continue till September 17. It is for the first time that India is hosting the Championship.
P.S. Kayal won gold in Modern Pentathlon National Championship 2017
- P.S. Kayal (8) of Lawspet in Puducherry has won a gold medal in the 8th Modern Pentathlon National Championship – 2017 in Pune, Maharashtra. She beat 30 other participants to claim the title.
Annual Border Security Force (BSF) sports meet in Jammu and Kashmir (J&K)
- The 4-day annual Border Security Force (BSF) sports meet has started in Jammu on September 12, 2017 in which about 1,200 personnel would participate in sports such as wrestling, boxing, weight-lifting and Kabbadi.
Prakash Padukone first recipient of the lifetime achievement award by BAI
- Prakash Padukone, the renowned Indian Badminton legend, will be conferred with the first Lifetime Achievement Award instituted by the Badminton Association of India (BAI) for his rich contribution to the sport.
Prof N R Madhava Menon Best Law Teacher Award for Dr Tahir Mahmood
- Dr Tahir Mahmood, the well-known jurist, has won the prestigious Prof N R Madhava Menon Best Law Teacher Award – 2017 in recognition of his distinguished services to legal education and legal profession during the 9th Teachers’ Day Award Function organized by Society of Indian Law Firms (SILF) and Menon Institute of Legal Advocacy Training (MILAT) in New Delhi.
Jawaharlal Nehru Port won the Container Terminal of the Year Award 2017
- Jawaharlal Nehru Port Container Terminal (JNPCT) won the 2017 Container Terminal of the Year Award at The Gateway Awards 2017 at Mumbai for its proactive strategies to ease congestion, smooth delivery of containers and revamping of infrastructure to support trade amidst adverse conditions.
Peter Thomson appointed as the first special envoy for the oceans by the United Nations
- Peter Thomson, the outgoing president of the General Assembly, has been appointed as the first special envoy for the oceans by the UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres. Thomson played a leading role at the first-ever UN conference on oceans in June 2017.
Los Angeles host the 2028 Summer Olympics
- The President of International Olympic Committee (IOC) Thomas Bach, has officially announced that Paris will host 2024 and Los Angeles will host 2028 Summer Olympics.
- Both cities wanted to host the 2024 event, before Los Angeles agreed to wait an extra four years after the IOC made guarantees on funding. Los Angeles will also receive up to $2 billion from the IOC, which is up to $300 million more than it would have gotten for 2024.