Tnpsc Current Affairs August 6-14, 2017 (English)
Uhuru Kenyatta wins Kenya Presidential election 2017
- Uhuru Kenyatta, the current President of Kenya, has officially declared the winner of the 2017 Kenya Presidential election amid allegations of voting fraud by the opposition.
Pakistan’s Mother Teresa "Ruth Pfau" has passed away
- Dr Ruth Pfau (87), a German doctor and nun who dedicated her life to eradicating leprosy in Pakistan, has passed in Karachi, Pakistan on August 10, 2017. She was hailed as Pakistan’s “Mother Teresa” after her work towards helping people displaced by the 2010 Pakistan floods.
15th meeting of the Foreign Ministers of BIMSTEC countries has started in Kathmandu, Nepal
- The 15th meeting of the Foreign Ministers of BIMSTEC countries has started in Kathmandu, Nepal from August 10, 2017. During the two day meeting foreign ministers of member countries will review the progress in identified fourteen areas of cooperation and discuss ways to accelerate cooperation under the Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) process.
- The Union External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj is representing India in the meeting and will hold bilateral meetings with the leaders of the members countries.
India’s ranked 43rd in the 2017 Natixis Global Retirement Index (GRI)
- India ranked 43rd among 43 nations in the 2017 Global Retirement Index (GRI). The list is topped by Norway, followed by Switzerland, Iceland and Sweden.
- ISRO and NASA are jointly working on NISAR mission to launch dual frequency SAR satellite by 2021
- The ISRO and NASA are jointly working on the NASA-ISRO Synthetic Aperture Radar (NISAR) mission to co-develop and launch a dual frequency (L & S Band) synthetic aperture radar satellite. This earth monitoring satellite is scheduled to be launched in 2021.
India to host the 8th edition of Global Entrepreneurship Summit (GES) 2017
- The 8th edition of Global Entrepreneurship Summit (GES)-2017 will be hosted by India and is scheduled to be held on November 28, 2017. The NITI Aayog in association with the Ministry of External Affairs and the Andhra Pradesh government have been assigned with organising the event.
S. Aparna appointed as new Executive Director of the World Bank (WB)
- S. Aparna, a 1988-batch IAS officer from Gujarat cadre, has been appointed as new Executive Director of the World Bank (WB) to represent the constituency of India, Bangladesh, Bhutan and Sri Lanka for three years. Currently, she is principal secretary to Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani. At the World Bank, she will replace Subhash Garg, who was recently appointed Economic Affairs Secretary, Ministry of Finance.
- International Youth Day (IYD) is observed every year on August 12 to draw attention to a given set of cultural and legal issues surrounding youth. The 2017 theme is “Youth Building Peace”, which recognizes the contributions of young people to preventing conflict, supporting inclusion, social justice, and sustainable peace.
International Biodiesel Day (IBD) observed on August 10
- The International Biodiesel Day (IBD) is celebrated every year on August 10 with an aim to turn the focus to non-fossil fuels.
- The day also honours the research experiments by Sir Rudolf Diesel who ran an engine with peanut oil in the year of 1893.
- The Biodiesel is an alternative fuel which can be used in place of fossil fuels. It is manufactured from vegetable oils, recycled grease, algae, and animal fat.
The Oxford University Press (OUP) has recently launched online dictionaries in Tamil and Gujarati languages
- The Oxford University Press (OUP) has recently launched online dictionaries in Tamil and Gujarati languages.
- The launch is a part of Oxford Global Languages (OGL) initiative with an aim to build dictionaries and lexicographical resources for around 100 of the world’s languages and to make them available online.
Prasoon Joshi appointment as new chief of the CBFC
- Prasoon Joshi, the famous lyricist, has been appointment as the new chief of the Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) for a period of three years. He succeeded Pahlaj Nihalani, who has been accused of autocratic conduct and of morally policing films.
World Elephant Day (WED) celebrated on August 12
- The World Elephant Day (WED) is celebrated every year on August 12 to focus the attention of various stakeholders in supporting various conservation policies to protect elephants, including improving enforcement policies to prevent illegal poaching and trade in ivory.
- A Nationwide campaign “Gaj Yatra” To Protect Elephants: Dr. Harsh Vardhan, the Union Environment, Forest and Climate Change Minister, has launched a nationwide campaign “Gaj Yatra” in New Delhi to protect elephants on the occasion of World Elephant Day (WED). The campaign is planned to cover 12 elephant range states.
International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples is observed on August 9
- The International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples is observed every year on August 9 to promote and protect the rights of the world’s indigenous population.
ISRO to launch a full-fledged niche Earth observation (EO) satellite “HySIS”
- ISRO going to launch a full-fledged niche Earth observation (EO) satellite called the Hyperspectral Imaging Satellite (HySIS) by using a critical chip it has developed. The purpose of the HySIS satellite is to enable distinct identification of objects from about 600 km in space.
M Venkaiah Naidu has been sworn-in as 13th Vice President of India
- M Venkaiah Naidu, the former Union Minister, has been sworn-in as 13th Vice President of India on August 11, 2017. He has been administered the oath of office by President Ram Nath Kovind at a special function at Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi. He was born on 1st July 1949 at Chavatapalem, in Nellore district of Andhra Pradesh.
India and US to host the Global Entrepreneurship Summit (GES-2017)
- India and United States (US) will co-host the Global Entrepreneurship Summit (GES-2017) at Hyderabad from November 28-30, 2017. The summit is a unique opportunity for bringing together entrepreneurs and start ups with global leaders.
National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) has launched Android Skill Development programme with Google India
- The National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) and Google India has launched Android Skill Development programme to impart mobile development training on the Android and Web platform and to improve the quality of mobile app development ecosystem in India.
Uttar Pradesh government has launched a new awareness drive “Namami Gange Jagriti Yatra
- Yogi Adityanath, the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh, has launched a new awareness drive called Namami Gange Jagriti Yatra from his official residence in state capital Lucknow.
- Justice Dipak Misra, the senior-most judge of the Supreme Court, has been appointed as the new Chief Justice of India (CJI) and will have a tenure of nearly 13 months. He will succeed Chief Justice J S Khehar, who will retire on August 27, 2017.
National Handloom Day (NHD) is celebrated on August 7
- The National Handloom Day (NHD) is celebrated every year in India on August 7 to give an impetus to the sector and encourage the use of handmade loom.
- The 7th of August has been chosen to celebrate the day due to its special significance in India’s history. It was on this day that the Swadeshi Movement was launched in 1905.
Actor Akshay Kumar appointed as the brand ambassador for Swachh Bharat Mission in Uttar Pradesh
- The Bollywood actor Akshay Kumar has been appointed as the brand ambassador for Swachh Bharat Mission in Uttar Pradesh. It was recently announced by Yogi Adityanath, the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh.
India’s first helicopter-taxi service will start in Bengaluru, Karnataka
- India’s first helicopter-taxi (heli-taxi) service will be started in Bengaluru, Karnataka for those who cannot afford to spend time battling traffic to travel across the city. The Kempegowda International Airport will become the first airport in India to have this facility.
IISc, Bengaluru developed a highly sensitive nanometre-scale carbon monoxide sensor
- The researchers at Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bengaluru have developed a low-cost highly sensitive nanometre-scale carbon monoxide sensor by employing an innovative fabrication technique.
- It is known that Carbon Monoxide (CO) can have adverse effects on the health of people exposed to it.
India’s first private sector missile sub-systems manufacturing facility has set up in Hyderabad
- India’s first private sector missile sub-systems manufacturing facility has inaugurated near Hyderabad on August 4, 2017. It has been established a line with the ‘Make in India’ initiative and Government’s policy to encourage private sector participation in defense product.
Dr. Rajiv Kumar will be the new Vice-Chairman of NITI Aayog
- Noted economist Dr. Rajiv Kumar will be the new Vice-Chairman of NITI Aayog, which is a think-tank that replaced the Planning Commission. He will succeed Arvind Panagariya, who will leave the government think tank on August 31, 2017 and return to Columbia University.
Microsoft has tied up with Telangana state to use its AI-based MINE platform to screen children for eye problems
- The Microsoft India has tied up with the state of Telangana to use its artificial intelligence-based MINE platform to screen children for eye problems and prevent avoidable blindness.
Ministry of Railways to observe “Rail Swachhta Pakhwada” from 16th August to 31st August 2017.
- Ministry of Railways is observing ‘Swachhta Pakhwada’ across its entire network from August 16TH to 31ST August 2017. This period was allotted to Ministry of Railways by the Nodal Ministry for ‘Swachh Bharat Abhiyan’ namely ‘Union Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation’.
Foreign investors pump in over Rs 10,400 crore in Indian debt markets so far
- Foreign investors have pumped in over 10,400 crore rupees, in the Indian debt markets so far this month. But foreign portfolio investors pulled out more than 2,000 crore rupees, from equities during this period.
- According to the latest depository data, foreign portfolio investors invested a net sum of 10,419 crore rupees, or 1.6 billion dollars, in the debt markets during 1st of August to 12th of August.
Inflation rises sharply to 1.88% in July 2017
- Wholesale inflation rose to 1.88 per cent in July as prices of some commodities increased in the first month of Goods and Services Tax,GST rollout.
- Inflation based on the wholesale price index, WPI was 0.90 per cent in June 2017 and 0.63 per cent in July 2016.
Gujarat government to become the India’s first state to implement coal utilisation between power units
- The Gujarat government has recently issued a tender for power developers to receive cheap coal marked for the state in return for selling coal-based power at less than Rs 2.82 a unit.
- Through the auction, Gujarat will transfer the coal allocated to power generating stations owned by Gujarat State Electricity Corporation (GSECL) to more fuel-efficient private power plants.
Bhopal to host the 2017 India – ASEAN Youth summit
- The 2017 India – ASEAN Youth summit will be held in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh from August 14 to 19, 2017 with theme ‘Shared values, common destiny’.
- This event is being organized in collaboration with the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Secretariat and the India Foundation.
‘Rayichapalu’ fish has been officially declared as one of the rarest species of fish in the world
- ‘Rayichapalu’ has been officially declared as one of the rarest species of fish in the world by the researchers from the Marine Living Resources Department of Andhra University. The fish is a regular catch for fishermen in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
Indian-origin Dev Patel will be honoured with the Asia Game Changers Award 2017
- Indian-origin actor Dev Patel will be honoured with the Asian Game Changer award for 2017 by the Asia Society for making a transformative and positive difference for the future of Asia and the world.
Mairaj-Rashmmi pair bags gold at Asian Shotgun Championship
- 7th Asian Championship Shotgun in Astana on14.08.2017, India bagged a gold medal in the skeet mixed team event .
- The Indian duo of Mairaj Ahmad Khan and Rashmmi Rathore eked out a narrow 28-27 win over the Chinese pair of Liu Jiangchi and Gao Jianmei.
- India finished the championship with a total of eight medals.
Milkha Singh appointed as the WHO Goodwill Ambassador
- Milkha Singh, the legendary athlete, appointed as the World Health Organisation’s (WHO) Goodwill Ambassador for physical activity in the South-East Asia Region (SEAR).
Davinder Singh Kang become the first Indian athlete to qualify for javelin throw final at the IAAF WAC 2017
- Davinder Singh Kang from Punjab has become the first Indian to qualify for the final round of the javelin throw at the IAAF World Athletics Championships in London.
Rinku Hooda wins silver at the World U-20 Para Athletics Championships
- Rinku Hooda (18) from India has won silver in the F46 javelin throw event at the World U-20 Para Athletics Championships in Nottwil, Switzerland on August 7, 2017.
Real Madrid won the UEFA Super Cup football tournament 2017
- Real Madrid, a professional football club of Spain, has won the 2017 UEFA Super Cup football tournament by defeating Manchester United in the final by 2-1 at the Philip II Arena in Skopje, Macedonia, on August 8, 2017. It is their 4th UEFA Super Cup title.
Shapath Bhardwaj become the India’s youngest athlete to be named in the Target Olympic Podium (TOP) scheme.
- Indian shooter Kynan Chenai from Hyderabad has won a bronze in men’s trap event at the 7th Asian Championship Shotgun at Astana, Kazakhstan on August 8, 2017.
India’s youngest athlete Shapath Bhardwaj named in the Union Government’s Target Olympic Podium (TOP) scheme
- India shooter Shapath Bhardwaj (15) from Merrut has become the India’s youngest athlete to be named in the Union Government’s Target Olympic Podium (TOP) scheme. He is among 45 elite athletes, including Olympic medallists PV Sindhu, Sakshi Malik and Saina Nehwal, to be selected for the scheme.
Kynan Chenai wins bronze in men’s trap at 7th Asian Championship Shotgun.
- Major General B C Khanduri parliamentary panel has recently recommended 100% pension to widow of deceased soldier.
- The Parliamentary Panel headed by Maj. General (Retired) B C Khanduri has recently tabled its report in Parliament. In the report, the panel has recommended the 100% pension to widow of deceased soldier so that she can take care of her family.
India’s first micro forest will be built in Raipur, Chattisgarh
- India’s first micro forest will be built in Raipur, Chattisgarh. Approximately, 19 acres of land which housed around 70 government office buildings will be converted into micro forest in order to create an oxy-zone.
- The micro forest will provide fresh air to Raipur which is the 7th most polluted city in the world.
Union minister Narendra Singh Tomar has recently launched a Swachh Survekshan (Gramin) 2017
- Narendra Singh Tomar, the Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation, has recently launched a Swachh Survekshan (Gramin)-2017 in New Delhi to encourage states and districts to improve their sanitation coverage and Solid Liquid Waste Management (SLWM).
Asia’s biggest basketball tournament started in Beirut, Lebanon
- The FIBA Asia Cup, which is known as the Asia’s biggest basketball tournament, has started in Beirut, Lebanon from August 8-20, 2017.
- All 16 teams who qualify for the tournament also qualify for the first round of the 2019 FIBA Basketball World Cup qualification for FIBA Asia and FIBA Oceania.
Awards and Prizes
Gerish Khemani wins the 2017 The Hindu Playwright Award
- Gerish Khemani and Akshat Nigam have won The Hindu Playwright Award 2017 for their play ‘In Search of Dariya Sagar’ at the 13th edition of The Hindu Theatre Fest in Mumbai.
Sharada selected for the 2017 Prem Nazir Award 2017
- Sharada, the veteran actress and national award winner, has been selected for the prestigious Prem Nazir Award for the year 2017. The award will be presented to Sharada by state Devaswom Minister Kadakampally Surendran at a function at Chirayankeezhu on August 15, 2017 at Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala.