Tnpsc Current Affairs August 4-5, 2017 (English) 2017
India hopeful operations at Chabahar Port will start by 2018 in Iran
- The Minister for Road Transport & Highways and Shipping Shri Nitin Gadkari has said that the government is keen on developing Chabahar Port in Iran and is hopeful of starting operations by 2018.
- Iran's Chabahar port located in the Sistan-Baluchistan Province on the south-eastern coast is a port of great strategic utility for India. It lies outside the Persian Gulf and is accessed from India's western coast.
- As per an MoU signed between India and Iran in May lastyear, India is to equip and operate two berths in Chabahar Port Phase-I with capital investment of USD 85.21 million andannual revenue expenditure of USD 22.95 million on a 10-yearlease.
NAAC launches Revised Accreditation Framework
- In its efforts to remain relevant and globally acceptable, NAAC has taken cognizance of the changing trends in higher education, stakeholder perceptions and feedback, besides the avalanche of experience gained from its accreditation exercise involving more than 11,132 institutions [518 Universities and 10614 Colleges] till July 2017, which stand in good stead in all its endeavours.
- The Revised Framework is more ICT intensive and ‘outcome based’. The current grading pattern of NAAC (A++, A+, A, B++, B+, B, C, D) would be continued for accreditation. A system of applying minimum qualifiers for achieving a grade has been designed and will be implemented. For example, Universities should score a minimum of 3.01 in Criteria 1, 2 and 3 for achieving a “A” “A+” “A++”grade.
Shanghai city hosted "BRICS Trade Ministers meet 2017"
- 7th Meeting of BRICS Trade Ministers was held in Shanghai, China from August, 1-2, 2017. From India, the 6-member delegation led by Commerce and Industry Minister Nirmala Sitharaman , along with Ambassador J.S. Deepak, PR to WTO participated in the meeting.
Hassan Rouhani sworn-in as the new President of Iran
- Hassan Rouhani has been officially sworn-in as the 7th President of Iran for his second term on August 3, 2017. Iran’s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamanei gave his official approval for the president-elect by giving him a decree to assign him his duties.
- Rouhani won re-election in May 2017, after securing 57% of the votes and defeating his main contender Ebrahim Raeisi.
World Breastfeeding Week (WBW) is observed on August 1st to 7th, 2017
- The World Breastfeeding Week (WBW) is observed every year from August 1st to 7th to focus attention on the important aspect of promotion and support of breastfeeding. The 2017 theme is “Sustaining Breastfeeding Together”.
Mukesh Ambani become the Asia’s second richest man, according to Bloomberg Billionaires Index (BBI)
- Mukesh Ambani has become the Asia’s second richest man according to the 2017 Bloomberg Billionaires Index (BBI).
- According to the 2017 index, Ambani’s net worth has risen to $35.8 billion (around Rs 2.2 lakh crore), making him the 19th richest person in the world, up from 29 at the end of 2016.
T K Viswanathan committee IS constituted by the SEBI for Fair Market conduct
- The Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI), recently constituted a committee for fair market conduct, headed by former Lok Sabha secretary and law secretary T K Viswanathan.
- T K Viswanathan, tasked with suggesting improvements to the existing SEBI norms, including on insider trading and Fraudulent and Unfair Trade practices (FUTP).
Maharashtra constituted "Rashmi Shukla committee" on safety measures for women in IT sector
- Maharashtra government constituted a committee under the chairmanship of senior IPS officer Rashmi Shukla to suggest measures to ensure safety of women working in the Information and Technology sector.
- Rashmi Shukla committee will suggest measures that can be undertaken to ensure safety of women working in the IT sector.
Dhirendra Swarup appointed as the new chairman of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE)
- Dhirendra Swarup, who was a public interest director at the BSE, has been appointed as the new chairman of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE). He succeeded Sudhakar Rao.
Peter O’Neill the newly elected Prime Minister of Papua New Guinea
- Peter O’Neill, re-elected as the new Prime Minister of Papua New Guinea (PNG) for a second five-year term with a healthy majority, 60 to 46 by a newly elected parliament. He is the leader of the People’s National Congress and represents the constituency of Ialibu-Pangia.
Dr. Sanjaya Baru as new secretary general of FICCI
- Dr. Sanjaya Baru has been named as the new secretary general of the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI). He will assume the charge from September 1, 2017 and will succeed A Didar Singh.
Agri UDAAN, the Food & Agribusiness Accelerator Program has launched in New Delhi
- Union Government has launched the 2nd AGRI-UDAAN programme in New Delhi on August 4, 2017 to promote innovation and entrepreneurship in agriculture. It will mentor startups and help them connect with potential investors.
- This program focuses on catalyzing scale-up stage food and agribusiness startups through rigorous mentoring, industry networking and investor pitching.
- The 6 month program is a unique platform for scale up stage innovators, entrepreneurs and startups in the Food and Agribusiness sectors.
India’s First Private Missile Production Facility inaugurated in Hyderabad.
- India’s first private sector missile sub-systems manufacturing facility, a joint venture between the $2.5 billion Kalyani Group and Israel’s Rafael Advanced Defence Systems Ltd, inaugurated in Hyderabad.
- Advanced equipment formed in line with the ‘Make in India’ initiative of the Centre and the policy to encourage private sector participation in defence production, the 51:49 joint ventures will develop a wide range of advanced capabilities.
- The Kalyani Rafael Advanced Systems (KRAS) plant will make anti-tank guided missile (ATGM) Spike. Besides supplying to the Indian Army, the plan is to export to South East Asian countries.
Maharashtra launched Aadhaar-authenticated Direct Benefit Transfer portal “MahaDBT
- Maharashtra Government launched two online portals MahaDBT and MahaVASTU to streamline the process of Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) and to bring in more transparency in construction sector.
- Maharashtra has become the first state in India to launch such a system that will provide direct benefits with Aadhaar authentication.
Indian Army's mobile app ‘Humraaz’ for soldiers to track promotions and postings
- Indian Army has developed a mobile application ‘Humraaz’ through which serving soldiers can track details like postings and promotions.
- Through the ‘Humraaz’ app, soldiers can also view their monthly salary slips and the Form 16 and also download them.
Dhanraj Pillay honored with the East Bengal football club’s highest honour “Bharat Gaurav”
- Former Indian hockey captain Dhanraj Pillay has been honored with the East Bengal football club’s highest honour “Bharat Gaurav” on its foundation day on August 1, 2017. Pillay has played a huge role in reviving the Indian team and performed brilliantly during his 15-year career, representing the country in four Olympics.
India's Manju Kumari won the bronze in Junior World Wrestling Championship, Finland
- India's Manju Kumari won the bronze medal in 59kg category with a 2-0 victory over Ilona Prokopevniuk of Ukraine in the Junior World Wrestling Championship held in Tampere, Finland on August 3, 2017.