Tnpsc Current Affairs August 25-28, 2017 (English)
Tnpsc Current Affairs August 25th to 28th 2017 in English for forthcoming TNPSC and other competitive Examinations 2017.
Admiral Nizamuddin Ahmed Chief of Naval Staff Bangladesh Navy Visits India
- Admiral Nizamuddin Ahmed, Chief of Naval Staff of the Bangladesh Navy is on an official visit to India from 28 to 30 August 2017. The visit is aimed at consolidating bilateral naval relations between India and Bangladesh and to explore new avenues for naval cooperation.
M.J. Akbar Inaugurated ‘Namaskar Africa’ Trade Show
- The ‘Namaskar 2017’ exposition will be inaugurated by MoS in the ministry of external affairs MJ Akbar and is part of ‘Namaskar Africa’, a regional flagship programme where Ficci in partnership with the ministry of commerce and industry will create awareness about the best Indian technologies and products in the region as well as explore opportunities offered by the region.
Justice Dipak Misra sworn in as 45th Chief Justice of India
Justice Dipak Misra has sworn in as the new Chief Justice of India, he will be the 45th chief Justice of India. President Ram Nath Kovind, administered the oath of office to Justice Misra at Rashtrapati Bhawan. He replaced Chief Justice J S Khehar, who retired on 27.08.2017.
Indian Ocean Conference to be held from August 31 at Colombo
- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj will travel to Colombo to participate in the two-day Indian Ocean Conference to be held at colombo from August 31 in which Sri Lankan Prime Minister and President are among key speakers.
- India Foundation, a Delhi-based think tank, will host the IOC 2017 in collaboration with RSIS, Singapore, and NIFS, Colombo—both research and study centres—and the theme of the conference is peace, progress and prosperity.
V. Kamakoti task force constituted by the Union Government on Artificial Intelligence (AI) for India’s economic transformation
- Nirmala Sitharaman, the Union Commerce and Industry Minister, has constituted a task force on Artificial Intelligence (AI) for India’s economic transformation.
- The 18-member panel, headed by Dr. V. Kamakoti of IIT Madras, will comprise of experts, academics, researchers and industry leaders.
Nungthaang Tampak- North East's First 100% Computer Literate Village
- Manipur’s Nungthaang Tampak village has emerged as the '100 percent computer literate' not only in the state but in the entire North East.
- The computer course, which is affiliated to All India Society for Electronic and Computer Technology (AISECT), was organised by Mangal Rural , an NGO working for rural development as a part of the Digital India program.
- Nungthang Tampak has become India’s second 100 percent computer literate village in India.
- Kerala’s Chamravattom village is the country’s first 100 percent computer literate village.
- Affordable housing in urban areas is gaining momentum in Uttar Pradesh with the State getting 41,173 more houses sanctioned under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Urban).
- The Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs has sanctioned 2,17,900 more houses for six States including Uttar Pradesh taking the total houses sanctioned so far o 26,13,568 with a total investment of 1,39,621 cr. Central assistance of 40,597 cr has been approved for construction of these houses.
- In the latest sanctions, Andhra Pradesh has got 1,20,894 more affordable houses followed by Uttar Pradesh-41,173, Assam-16,700, Gujarat-15,222, Jharkhand-14,017 and Maharashtra-9,894.
- Andhra Pradesh is far ahead of others in sanctions under PMAY(Urban) accounting for 20.71% of all the houses sanctioned so far.
- With the latest sanctions, of the 36 States and Union Territories, all except Delhi, Chandigarh, Goa and Lakshadweep have got houses sanctioned under PMAY(Urban).
Kerala government has launched a‘E-Waste Disposal’ scheme in state schools
- Kerala government has recently launched a new ‘E-Waste Disposal’ scheme in its state schools with an aim to process the electronic waste in the IT labs, offices and stores.
- This programme is a joint initiative of Kerala Infrastructure and Technology for Education (KITE), formerly IT@School project and Clean Kerala Company.
First edition of Grameen Khel Mahotsav started in New Delhi
- The first edition of Rural Games or Grameen Khel Mahotsav started in Delhi and will take place between 28th August to 3rd September 2017. The purpose of the Rural Games is to popularize the indigenous games like wrestling and athletics and will also have fun games like Matka Race, Tug of War for senior citizens.
Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu Launched National Sports Talent Search Portal
- Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu Launched the National Sports Talent Search Portal, an initiative of the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, on 28.08.2017 at New Delhi.
- The portal will provide a three step simple process for registration, profile creation and upload of achievements.
- The portal will be available in English and other regional languages so that it is easier for any boy or girl who is talented in a particular sport to upload his or her achievements from any part of the country.
Secure Email Service to Government of India
- As part of the mandate under the Digital India program, Government will provide a secure eMail service to all its officials for secure communication. As of now the service will be offered to 5 million users. Currently the user base is 1.6 million
- In accordance with the eMail policy of the Government an email id will be assigned to all Government officials at the Centre and State through National Informatics Centre.
India’s first Videsh Bhavan will come up in Maharashtra
- Sushma Swaraj, the Union External Affairs Minister, will inaugurate India’s first Videsh Bhavan on August 27, 2017 at the Bandra Kurla Complex (BKC) in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- As a first pilot project, four offices of MEA – Regional Passport Office (RPO), Protector of Emigrants (PoE) office, Branch Secretariat and Regional Office of ICCR – have been assimilated and brought under one roof at the state-of-art office.
Jammu and Kashmir Government to Set Up First Eco-Park
- The Jammu and Kashmir government has decided to build an Eco-Park on over 34 acres of land reclaimed from encroachers in the state's Rajouri district.
- The park is a first-of-its-kind project in the region. It will have a botanical garden, a cactus garden, a cafeteria and other amenities.
Nachiket Mor Re-appointed to RBI’s Central Board
- Nachiket Madhusudan Mor has been re-appointed as a member of the Eastern local board of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI
Andhra Pradesh become the India’s first state-owned discoms to accept payments through Bharat QR
- Andhra Pradesh’s Eastern Power Distribution Company Ltd (EPDCL) and the Southern Power Distribution Corporation of AP Ltd. (SPDCL) have become the India’s first state-owned distribution companies to accept payments through Bharat QR.
Tata Sons Hires Roopa Purushothaman as Chief Economist
- Tata Sons announced the appointment of Roopa Purushothaman as its chief economist and head of Policy Advocacy.
- Purushothaman, who will join Tata Sons with effect from September 1, comes from Everstone Capital, where she was leading the research function.
Nandan Nilekani appointed as the new non-executive Chairman of Infosys
- Nandan Nilekani, the Infosys co-founder and the architect of Aadhaar, has been appointed as the new non-executive chairman of the board of directors of Infosys.
- Nilekani’s appointment will allow Infosys to focus on the strategic changes it needs to make in order to capitalize on the attractive opportunities in the years ahead.
Nilekani served as Infosys’s CEO from 2002 to 2007.
- Union government has recently hiked OBC creamy layer ceiling limit to Rs 8 lakh per annum
- The Union Cabinet has recently increased the ‘creamy layer’ ceiling for the Other Backward Classes (OBC) category to Rs 8 lakh per annum from the existing Rs 6 lakh for central government jobs. With this, those in the OBC category earning up to Rs 8 lakh per annum would now get reservation benefits.
Gurugram to host Digital Haryana Summit (SHS)
- The Haryana government will organize Digital Haryana Summit (DHS) in Gurugram on September 15, 2017 to discuss issues like digital governance, smart living in cities and villages, citizen partnership, entrepreneurship, skilling and geo-governance and sustainability, among others.
23rd Edition of Annual Delhi Book Fair Begins at Pragati Maidan
- The Annual Delhi Book Fair begins at Pragati Maidan in the national capital.
- It is organised by the India Trade Promotion Organization in association with the Federation of Indian Publishers.
The theme this year is, 'Padhe Bharat, Badhe Bharat'.
- The Publications Division of the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting will participate in the fair with its vast repository of books on sale.
RBI issues new Rs 200, Rs 50 notes
- The Reserve Bank today issued new Rs 200 and Rs 50 denomination banknotes in the Mahatma Gandhi (New) Series, bearing signature of RBI Governor Urjit Patel.
- Initially, the new Rs 200 notes will be circulated by select RBI offices, and some banks.
- The new Rs. 200 denomination has motif of Sanchi Stupa on the reverse, depicting the country’s cultural heritage.
- The base colour of the note is bright yellow. The note has other designs, geometric patterns aligning with the overall colour scheme, both at the obverse and reverse.
5% GST applicable on selling of space for advertisement in print media
- Government has clarified that five percent GST is applicable on selling of space for advertisement in print media if an agency buys space from the newspaper and sells the same to clients on its own account.
FDI jumps 37% to 10.4 billion USD during April-June 2017
- Foreign direct investment, FDI, into the country grew by 37 per cent to 10(point)4 billion US Dollar during the first quarter of the current fiscal.
- According to the figures of the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion, DIPP, India had received around eight billion FDI US Dollar during the same period last year.
Former RBI governor Rahguram Rajan has authored the book “I Do What I Do”
- The book “I Do What I Do” has been authored by Rahguram Rajan, the former RBI governor. This book conveys what it was like to be at the helm of RBI in those turbulent but exciting times. Rajan explains economic concepts in a readily accessible way.
Digambar Behera won the Biju Patnaik Award for Scientific Excellence-2016
- Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik has recently conferred the Biju Patnaik Award for Scientific Excellence for the year 2016 to Prof Digambar Behera. Behera is senior professor and Head, Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER) in Chandigarh.
Nitasha Biswas, The Winner of Miss Transqueen India 2017
- Nitasha, a trans woman who hails from Kolkata, was named the first Miss Transqueen India in Gurgaon on 27.08.2017.
- Nitasha, 26, is currently pursuing Masters in Business Management in Kolkata.
- Loiloi from Manipur bagged the first runner-up position and Ragasya from Chennai was crowned the second runner-up.
Saina Nehwal won bronze in the 2017 women’s singles World Badminton championships (WBC)
- Saina Nehwal from India has won bronze in the 2017 women’s singles World Badminton championships (WBC). In the first women’s singles semi-final at Glasgow, Nehwal lost to Nozomi Okuhara of Japan in three games 12-21, 21-17, 21-10.
Sanjivani Jadhav silver medal in the 29th World University Games
- Sanjivani Jadhav from India, a marathon runner from Nashik, has clinched silver medal in the women’s 10,000-metre at the 29th World University Games in Taipei, Taiwan on August 24, 2017.
Lionel Messi Becomes The First Player to Score 350 La Liga Goals
- Barcelona and Argentina star Lionel Messi became the first player to pass 350 goals in La Liga with a double for Barcelona in the 2-0 win against Alaves.
- Messi has scored 274 goals of those goals with his left foot and 63 with his right
India Wins U-15 SAFF Football Championship
- The India football team came from behind to defeat Nepal 2-1 to win the South Asian Football Federation (SAFF) Under-15 Championship.
- The South Asian Football Federation (SAFF) Under-15 Championship for boys kick started on August 18, 2017, at Nepal. As many as six nations participated in the tournament where each of the sides was divided into two pools comprising three teams each.
Ronaldo Becomes UEFA Player of the Year 2017
- Real Madrid's star forward Cristiano Ronaldo deserves the UEFA Player of the Year Award. He achieved this achievement by overthrowing Lionel Messi and Juventus's keeper Gianligi Buffon.
- 32-year-old Ronaldo has given Real Madrid the second consecutive Champions League title, as well as the top scorer of the tournament with 12 goals in the previous season.
- Portuguese veteran Ronaldo was successful in achieving this award for the third time. He left behind Barcelona's rival, Forward Messi, 30, who has two nominations.
- Ronaldo won the award in 2013, 2014 and 2015-16.
London to Host Table Tennis Team World Cup 2018
- England has been awarded the right to host the 2018 Table Tennis Team World Cup, which will be held in London.
- The event will take place at the Copper Box Arena in the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park from 22-25 February.
- It will be the first major table tennis-only event to be held in London since Wembley hosted the 1954 World Championships.
- The last team World Cup was held in Dubai in 2015, in which 12 men and 12 women teams took part.
PV Sindhu wins silver in World Badminton Championships
- Ace shuttler P V Sindhu settled for a silver after losing to Japan's Nozomi Okuhara in the final of world Badminton Championship at the Emirates Arena in Glasgow, Scotland yesterday. Sindhu lost to her Japanese rival 19-21 22-20 20-22 after battling hard in the game. Earlier, Saina Nehwal ended her campaign with a bronze.
- Sindhu, who had won bronze twice in the 2013 and 2014 editions, became only the second Indian to win a silver medal after Saina Nehwal had achieved the feat in the last edition at Jakarta in 2015.
India winS SAFF Under 15 Championship
- India has won the South Asian Football Federation, SAFF, Under 15 Championship. India defeated host Nepal by 2-1 in the final at Kathmandu.
- In the first half Nepal was leading by one goal. Birjesh Kumar Chaudhary made no mistake by converting penalty into a goal in 41st minute. In the second half Indian team looked more composed and played better.