TNPSC Current Affairs August 20-24, 2017 (English)
Tnpsc Current Affairs August 20th to 24th 2017 in English for forthcoming TNPSC and other competitive Examinations 2017.
Rahul Doshi Indian-origin boy crowned as the UK’s ‘Child Genius’ in a popular television quiz competition
- Rahul Doshi (Age 12), an Indian-origin boy, has been crowned as the UK’s ‘Child Genius’ in a popular television quiz competition, after answering all questions correctly.
- He won the Channel 4 show ‘Child Genius’ by beating his nine-year-old opponent – Ronan by 10-4 in the programme’s finale on August 20, 2017.
2017 World Mosquito Day (WMD) is observed on August 20
- World Mosquito Day (WMD) is observed every year on August 20 is to raise awareness about the threat of malaria and other diseases transmitted by one of the world’s deadliest killers – the mosquito.
World Humanitarian Day (WHD) is observed on August 19
- World Humanitarian Day (WHD) is observed every year on August 19 to pay tribute to aid workers who risk their lives in humanitarian service, and to rally support for people affected by crises around the world.
- The 2017 WHD campaign “#NotATarget” follows the UN Secretary-General’s report on the protection of civilians in armed conflict.
Nikolay Kudashev appointed as the new Russia’s new ambassador to India
- Russian President Vladimir Putin recently appointed career diplomat Nikolay Kudashev as Russia’s new ambassador to India.
- The appointment of Kudashev comes nearly seven months after the death of Russia’s previous ambassador to India Alexander Kadakin.
Indian Navy Band to Participate in 2017 International Military Music Festival in Moscow
- The International Military Music Festival "Spasskaya Tower" is the parade of the best military music bands of Russia and other countries that takes place every year at Red Square in Moscow.
- This Music Festival is a mega event, where military musicians represent the variety of national, artistic and military traditions of the world.
Festival of India will Organised in Brazil from 31 August to 9 September 2017
- A Festival of India is being organized in Brazil from 31 August-9 September 2017.
- The Festival will showcase diverse Indian culture, i.e. classical dances, literature, cuisine and Exhibition on Mahatma Gandhi.
Statement on behalf of The Government – on The Supreme Court Judgement on Right to Privacy
- The nine-judge Bench Supreme Court judgement has today (24.08.2017) pronounced in the “Privacy Case” by upholding the Right to Privacy as one protected by Article 21 of the Constitution of India.
- The Government welcomes the view of the Supreme Court, which is consistent with all the necessary safeguards that the Government has been ensuring in its legislative proposals which had been approved by Parliament.
Finance Minister Sh. Arun Jaitley unveils NITI Aayog's Three Year Action Agenda
- NITI Aayog's Three Year Action Agenda was, unveiled on 24.08.2017, by Finance Minister Sh. Arun Jaitley, along with Minister of State for Petroleum and Natural Gas Sh. Dharmendra Pradhan and NITI Aayog Vice Chairman Dr. Arvind Panagariya.
- The Action Agenda is an integral part of the 15-year Vision Document of India being drafted by the NITI Aayog.
MoS Dr Jitendra Singh calls for indigenous 'StartUp' initiatives
- The Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) of the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER), MoS PMO, Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space, Dr Jitendra Singh has called for indigenous “StartUp” initiatives.
- Dr Jitendra Singh, in his address after inaugurating the 3-day “StartUp Expo 2017” at Pragati Maidan, New Delhi on 24.08.2017, Dr Jitendra Singh said Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi’s “StartUp” initiative has the capacity to open new avenues of employability
Bidding process for the second round Regional Connectivity Scheme – UDAN launched
- The Minister of Civil Aviation Shri P Ashok Gajapathi Raju has announced that the process for bidding for the second round of the Regional Connectivity Scheme – UDAN will start today. Briefing media persons in New Delhi on 24.08.2017.
- The second round will be on improving connectivity to priority areas like the North East, Jammu & Kashmir, Uttarakhand, Himachal Pradesh , Andaman & Nicobar Islands and Lakshdweep by introducing more operational flexibility and promoting helicopter operations.
- Regional Connectivity Scheme UDAN: The Regional Connectivity Scheme UDAN is a key component of the National Civil Aviation Policy (NCAP) which was released by the Ministry of Civil Aviation on 15th June 2016. UDAN was launched in October, 2016 with the prime objective to facilitate / stimulate regional air connectivity by making it affordable for the masses.
National Museum takes a New initiative on “Small Temporary Exhibitions” from Its Reserve Collection
- The National Museum took a new initiative on “Small Temporary Exhibitions” from its reserve collection. The exhibitions will be based on several themes, so that it will attract large number of visitors to view new artifacts every fortnight.
Chief Electoral Officers’ Conference 2017 held in New Delhi
- 2017 Two-day Chief Electoral Officers’ Conference of all States and Union Territories has been inaugurated by Chief Election Commissioner Achal Kumar Joti and Election Commissioner OP Rawat in New Delhi on August 18, 2017.
- This event is being organised by the Election Commission of India (ECI) to review performance as well as to explore new initiatives and improve the election management and voter experience.
National Conference on “Insolvency and Bankruptcy: Changing Paradigm 2017
- The National Conference on “Insolvency and Bankruptcy: Changing Paradigm” held in Mumbai. Arun Jaitley, the Union Minister of Finance, Defense and Corporate Affairs, was the Chief Guest at the National Conference on ”Insolvency and Bankruptcy: Changing Paradigm”, which was held at Mumbai on August 19, 2017.
National Workshop on Enforcement of IPRs in New Delhi
- Union Minister of Home Affairs, Shri Rajnath Singh inaugurated the three-day workshop on Enforcement of Intellectual Property Rights (IPRs) on 22.08.2017, in the august presence of Commerce and Industry Minister Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman and Minister of State, Home Affairs, Shri Kiren Rijiju
“Sankalp Se Sidhi” program - to commemorate the 75th Anniversary of Quit India Movement
- “Sankalp Se Sidhi” program is being organized across the country to commemorate the 75th Anniversary of Quit India Movement.
- On this occasion, the Agriculture & Farmers Welfare Ministry has planned to organize the Sankalp Se Sidhi program at 578 Krishi Vigyan Kendras (KVKs), 29 ICAR institutes/SAUs and 53 ATMAs during 19-30 August 2017.
- Till 20 August 2017, 18 states including Punjab, Himachal Pradesh, Rajasthan, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Andman & Nicobar, Odisha, Tamil Nadu, Telangana, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, Chhatishgarh, Nagaland, Meghalaya, Manipur, Maharashtra and Gujarat have organized the program at 32 locations.
World Renewable Energy Technology Congress 2017 held in New Delhi
- 8th World Renewable Energy Technology Congress & Expo-2017 has started in New Delhi from August 21, 2017. The theme of the 3-day annual conference is “Renewable Energy: What Works”, which focuses on new Green Technologies to ensure clean, reliable and affordable Renewable Energy supplies
Technical committee for 48th International Film Festival of India (IFFI)
- The Information and Broadcasting (I&B) Ministry has constituted a technical committee for the 48th International Film Festival of India (IFFI), which is proposed to be held from November 20-28, 2017 in Goa. The technical committee will have 12 members and will be chaired by Nagesh Kukunoor.
India’s first world peace university has come up in Pune, Maharashtra
- The Dr Vishwanath Karad MIT World Peace University (MITWPU), the first of its kind in India, has recently inaugurated by chief minister of Maharashtra Devendra Fadnavis in Pune.
- The purpose of the university is to visualize education through a holistic outlook of knowledge building to establish peace and harmony in the world.
Union Cabinet approves New Central Sector Scheme "Pradhan Mantri Kisan Sampada Yojana (PMKSY)"
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs, chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, has approved the renaming of the new Central Sector Scheme - SAMPADA (Scheme for Agro-Marine Processing and Development of Agro-Processing Clusters) as "Pradhan Mantri Kisan Sampada Yojana (PMKSY) " for the period of 2016-20 coterminous with the 14th Finance Commission cycle.
- The objective of PMKSY is to supplement agriculture, modernize processing and decrease Agri-Waste.
- PMKSY is an umbrella scheme incorporating ongoing schemes of the Ministry like Mega Food Parks, Integrated Cold Chain and Value Addition Infrastructure, Food Safety and Quality Assurance Infrastructure, etc. and also new schemes like Infrastructure for Agro-processing Clusters, Creation of Backward and Forward Linkages, Creation / Expansion of Food Processing & Preservation Capacities.
Union Cabinet gives in-principle approval for Public Sector Banks to amalgamate through an Alternative Mechanism (AM)
- The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has given in-principle approval (23.08.2017) for Public Sector Banks to amalgamate through an Alternative Mechanism (AM).
- The decision would facilitate consolidation among the Nationalized Banks to create strong and competitive banks.
Union Cabinet approves MoU between India and Nepal on Drug Demand Reduction and Prevention of Illicit Trafficking
- The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi (23.08.2017) has given its approval for signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Nepal on Drug Demand Reduction and Prevention of Illicit Trafficking in Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances and precursor chemicals and related matter.
Union Cabinet approves Closure of loss making Bharat Wagon and Engineering Company
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs, chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi (23.08.2017) has approved the proposal of Ministry of Railways to close the Bharat Wagon and Engineering Company Limited (BWEL) - a Central Public Sector Enterprise (CPSE) under Ministry of Railways.
- BWEL was incorporated on 4th Dec' 1978 as a CPSE after taking over two sick private sector companies - Arthur Butler & Company, Muzaffarpur and Britannia Engineering Company, Mokama.
Union Cabinet approves MOU for construction of a new Bridge over Mechi River at Indo-Nepal border
- Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi (23.08.2017) approved a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to be signed between India and Nepal for laying down implementation arrangement on Cost sharing, Schedules and Safeguard issues for starting construction of a new Bridge over Mechi River at Indo-Nepal border.
Union Cabinet approves setting up of a Commission to examine the Sub-Categorization within OBCs
- The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi (23.08.2017) approved a proposal for setting up of a Commission under article 340 of the Constitution to examine the issue of sub-categorization of the Other Backward Classes (OBCs).
- The Commission shall submit its report within 12 weeks from the date of appointment of the Chairperson of the Commission. The Commission shall be known as the Commission to examine the sub-categorization of Other Backward Classes.
Shri Ashwani Lohani appointed as New Chairman, Ministry of Railways
- Shri Ashwani Lohani, IRSME has been appointed as Chairman, Railway Board (Ministry of Railways) and ex-officio Principal Secretary to Government of India vice Shri A.K.Mital. He assumed charge of his new assignment today i.e 24th August, 2017. Prior to this assignment, Shri Ashwani Lohani was serving as Chairman and Managing Director, Air India.
Dr. Mamta Suri as new Executive Director of Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI
- Dr. Mamta Suri has taken charge as Executive Director of Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI) in New Delhi on August 16, 2017. Before joining IBBI, Dr. Suri was serving as Chief General Manager, Insurance Regulatory Development Authority of India (IRDAI).
Telangana government launched an exclusive 24×7 helpline ‘181’ for women welfare
- Telangana government has recently launched an exclusive 24×7 helpline ‘181’ for women welfare. The helpline will respond to calls on dowry harassment cases, stalking, domestic violence, sale of girl child and immoral trafficking.
Water storage level of 91 Major Reservoirs of the Country goes up by 3%
- The water storage available in 91 major reservoirs of the country for the week ending on August 24, 2017 was 79.925 BCM which is 51% of total storage capacity of these reservoirs. This percentage was at 48 for the week ending on August 17, 2017.
- The level of August 24, 2017 was 78% of the storage of corresponding period of last year and 81% of storage of average of last ten years.
- The total storage capacity of these 91 reservoirs is 157.799 BCM which is about 62% of the total storage capacity of 253.388 BCM which is estimated to have been created in the country. 37 Reservoirs out of these 91 have hydropower benefit with installed capacity of more than 60 MW.
Telangana CM Chandrashekhar Rao selected for National Agriculture Leadership Award-2017
- Telangana Chief Minister K Chandrashekhar Rao has been selected for the prestigious National Agriculture Leadership Award-2017 by the Indian Council of Food and Agriculture (ICFA) under the chairmanship of well known agriculture scientist Prof MS Swaminathan.
Assam to launch a new scheme for Compassionate Family Pension (CFP)
- Assam government will launched a new Scheme called Scheme for Compassionate Family Pension (CFP) in lieu of Compassionate Appointment.
NITI Aayog launched “Mentor India” Campaign
- NITI Aayog will launch the Mentor India Campaign, a strategic nation building initiative to engage leaders who can guide and mentor students at more than 900 Atal Tinkering Labs, established across the country as a part of the Atal Innovation Mission.
- CEO NITI Aayog, Shri Amitabh Kant will unveil the online nationwide initiative in the capital on 23.08.2017.
- Mentor India is aimed at maximizing the impact of Atal Tinkering Labs, possibly the biggest disruption in formal education globally.
I am HIV positive, so what? by journalist Jayanta Kalita published by Bloomsbury
- The book “I am HIV positive, so what?” has been authored by journalist Jayanta Kalita and published by Bloomsbury. The book is based on the life of Manipur’s acclaimed bodybuilder Khundrakpam Pradip kumar Singh, who is known for his struggle against HIV-AIDS.
National Sports Museum to be established in New Delhi
- The Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports is going to establish National Sports Museum, first of its kind, at Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, New Delhi.
- The decision was taken three months back and after a series of meetings and his personal visits to several locations in the capital, the current venue for museum was finalized by the Sports Minister Shri Vijay Goel himself.
- The Museum will showcase the India’s achievements in sports and also focus on the traditional sports within the country.
National Sports Awards 2017 - Complete list of Award Winners
- National Sports Awards are given every year to recognize and reward excellence in sports. Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award is given for the spectacular and most outstanding performance in the field of sports by a sportsperson over a period of four year, Arjuna Award is given for consistency outstanding performance for four years, Dronacharya Award for coaches for producing medal winners at prestigious International sports events, Dhyan Chand Award for life time contribution to sports development.
- Selection Committee for Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award and Arjuna Awards was headed by Justice C.K. Thakkar (Former Judge Supreme Court of India, Chief Justice of High Court of Himachal and Bombay). Selection Committee for Dronacharya Awards and Dhyan Chand Awards was headed by Shri Pullela Gopichand.
- The awardees will received their awards from the President of India at a specially organized function at the Rashtrapati Bhawan on August 29, 2017.
- Apart from a medal and a citation, Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Awardee will receive a cash prize of Rs. 7.5 lakh. Arjuna, Dronacharya and Dhyan Chand Awardees will received statuettes, certificates and cash prize of Rs. 5 lakh each.
- Based on the recommendations of the Committee and after due scrutiny, the Government has decided to confer awards upon the following sportsperson/coaches/organisations :
Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna 2017
Name of the Awardee
Shri Sardar Singh
Dronacharya Awards 2017
Name of the Awardee
Late Dr. R. Gandhi
Mr. Heera Nand Kataria
Mr. G.S.S.V. Prasad
Mr. Brij Bhushan Mohanty
Mr. P.A. Raphel
Mr. Sanjoy Chakraverthy
Mr. Roshan Lal
Arjuna Awards 2017
Name of the Awardees
Ms. V.J. Surekha
Ms. Khushbir Kaur
Mr. Arokia Rajiv
Ms. Prasanthi Singh
Sub. LaishramDebendro Singh
Ms. Harmanpreet Kaur
Ms. OinamBembem Devi
Mr. S.S.P. Chawrasia
Mr. S.V. Sunil
Mr. Jasvir Singh
Mr. P. N. Prakash
Mr. A. Amalraj
Mr. Varun Singh Bhati
Dhyan Chand Award
Mr. Bhupender Singh
Mr. Syed Shahid Hakim
Ms. Sumarai Tete
India to host the 2017 FIFA Under-17 World Cup 2017
- The 2017 FIFA Under-17 World Cup will be held in India from October 6 to 28, which is first-ever FIFA tournament in India.
- It is in news because the curtain raiser function for FIFA U-17 World Cup was held in Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium in New Delhi on August 19, 2017.