Tnpsc Current Affairs June 23-24, 2017 (English) - Download PDF
Read Tnpsc Current Affairs June 23-24, 2017
Russian diplomat "Vladimir Voronkov" to be first UN Counter-Terrorism office (UNCTO) chief
The United Nations has announced the appointment of its first counter-terrorism chief, Russian diplomat Vladimir Voronkov.
- The new high-level position has been created by United Nations secretary-general Antonio Guterres to strengthen counter-terrorism efforts that had been dispersed among several United Nations agencies and departments. Voronkov will hold the title of under-secretary-general.
"Thirty Metre Telescope (TMT)" Project developed by Five countries including India
Thirty Metre Telescope (TMT) is a multi- million dollar project being developed by an international consortium of Five countries including India.
- The other four countries are Canada, China, Japan and the U.S. In July 2013, five countries participating in the project had inked Master Partnership Agreement (MPA) for the construction of the Thirty Meter Telescope (TMT).
- The telescope which was expected to be started at Mauna Kea, Hawaii was stalled following protests by locals.
NASA launches world's lightest satellite "Kalamsat" designed by TN student
- India once again broke a global space record by launching the world's lightest satellite weighing a mere 64 grams, called Kalamsat, designed and developed by 18-year-old Tamil Nadu student Rifath Sharook and his team.
- The tiny satellite, named after Abdul Kalam, was flown by a Nasa sounding rocket.Kalamsat was the only Indian payload in the Nasa mission.
Estonia to open the world’s first data embassy in Luxembourg
- The world’s first ever data embassy is set for launch next year after the Estonian government signed a deal with Luxembourg.
- Estonia is planning to keep backup files of its vital information on servers in the duchy in order to guarantee country's digital continuity.
Qatar Airways voted "Best Airline in the world 2017"
Qatar Airways has been named Best Airline in the World for 2017 by leading consumer aviation website Skytrax .The Gulf-based carrier was presented with the honor at World Airline Awards at the 2017 Paris Air Show. This is Qatar Airways' fourth win in the last 10 years after securing the top spot in 2011, 2012, and 2015.
International Olympic Day: 23 June
International Olympic Day is celebrated on June 23 of every year.It is a day for the world to get active, learn about Olympic values and discover new sports.Based on the three pillars move, learn and discover, National Olympic Committees are organising sports, cultural and educational activities throughout the world.
UN Public Service Day: 23 June
The United Nations Public Service Day is celebrated on June 23 of every year. The UN Public Service Day was designated by the United Nations General Assembly's resolution to “celebrate the value and virtue of public service to the community”. 2017 UN Public Service day theme is ‘The Future is Now’.
Tamil Nadu most visited state among domestic and foreign tourists in 2016
Tamil Nadu has bagged the top spot as the country's most popular tourist destination among foreign and domestic tourists in 2016.
- Uttar Pradesh, on the other hand, has emerged as the second most popular destination among domestic tourists, and as the third in foreign tourist visits. For foreign tourists, Maharashtra is second most popular choice, after Tamil Nadu.
- The ministry's survey also suggested the Top 10 performing states contributed to about 84.21% of the total domestic tourist visits during 2016.
The top ten states in terms of number of domestic tourist visits during 2016
- Tamil Nadu
- Uttar Pradesh
- Andhra Pradesh
- Madhya Pradesh
- West Bengal
PSLV-C38 Successfully Launches 31 Satellites in a Single Flight
ISRO’s Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle PSLV-C38 successfully launched the 712 kg Cartosat-2 Series Satellite along with 30 co-passenger satellites from Satish Dhawan Space Centre SHAR, Sriharikota.This is the thirty ninth consecutively successful mission of PSLV.
- The total number of Indian satellites launched by PSLV now stands at 48.One of the 30 co-passenger satellites carried by PSLV-C38 was the 15 kg NIUSAT, a University/Academic Institute satellite from Nurul Islam University, Tamil Nadu, India.
- The remaining 29 co-passenger satellites carried were 14 international customer satellites from USA (10), United Kingdom (3), Belgium (3), Italy (3), Austria (1), Chile (1), Czech Republic (1), Finland (1), France (1), Germany (1), Japan (1), Latvia (1), Lithuania (1) and Slovakia (1).
Rajdhani, Shatabdi trains set for revamp under 'Operation Swarn’
After years of complaints by the travelling public, the premium trains are now set for a makeover. The Railway Ministry is set to launch "Operation Swarn" to improve services in Rajdhani and Shatabdi Express trains.
- In the first phase, the Mumbai-Delhi Rajdhani Express and Mumbai-Ahmedabad Shatabdi Express have been selected for upgradation.Work will start from September 26. More trains will be identified in a phased manner.
India’s biggest municipal bonds programme launched in Maharashtra
To finance its 24x7 water supply project, the Pune Municipal Corporation launched India’s biggest municipal bonds programme.The project looks to raise Rs 2,264 crore in five years.Municipal bonds are debt instruments through which a corporation or municipality raises money from individuals or institutions.
Union Government announces 30 New Smart Cities
Union Minister for Urban Development and Housing & Urban Poverty Alleviation, M. Venkaiah Naidu has announced a new batch of 30 smart cities under Smart City Mission, which was launched on June 25, 2015.
- The newly selected cities include Thiruvananthapuram in Kerala, Naya Raipur in Chhattisgarh, Rajkot in Gujarat, Amravati in Andhra Pradesh, Patna in Bihar, Karimnagar in Telangana, Muzaffarpur in Bihar, Puducherry, Gandhinagar in Gujarat, Srinagar in Jammu and Kashmir, Sagar in Madhya Pradesh, Karnal in Haryana, Satna in Madhya Pradesh, Bengaluru in Karnataka, Shimla in Himachal Pradesh, Dehradun in Uttarakhand, Tirupur in Tamil Nadu.
- Pimpri Chinchwad in Maharashtra, Bilaspur in Chhattisgarh, Pasighat in Arunachal Pradesh, Jammu in Jammu & Kashmir, Dahod in Gujarat, Tirunelveli, Thootukkudi and Tiruchirapalli in Tamil Nadu, Jhansi in Uttar Pradesh, Aizawl in Mizoram, Allahabad and Aligarh in U.P. and Gangtok in Sikkim.
- With the addition of these 30 smart cities, the total cities picked up under the Smart City Mission has reached 90.
Union Government launches "VAJRA scheme" to attract Indian scientists abroad
In a bid to bring together the Indian scientists abroad and India-based researchers for conducting joint researches in India, the Department of Science and Technology (DST) launched a scheme named 'Visiting Advanced Joint Research Faculty' (VAJRA).
Under this scheme, scientists or senior researchers abroad - of Indian origin or otherwise - can collaborate with faculties here.The broad areas of research like energy, health, advance material and others would be promoted under the scheme.
Mamata Banerjee received the highest prize in "United Nations Public Service Award"
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has received the highest prize in United Nations Public Service Award for the state government’s Kanyashree Prakalpa (Girl Child) scheme in The Hague, Netherlands. Kanyashree Prakalpa scheme of West Bengal came first among the 552 project nominations received by the UN from 62 countries. West Bengal has been awarded in the Asia-Pacific group for the category: ‘Reaching the Poorest and Most Vulnerable through Inclusive Services and Participation‘.
Nisha Dutt bags "Social Entrepreneur of the Year Award 2017"
Nisha Dutt, Chief Executive Officer of Intellecap has become the first Indian woman leader to have been honoured with the “Social Entrepreneur of the Year” award at The 7th Asian Awards in London. Nisha Dutt has been honoured in recognition of her work in making Intellecap a globally known enterprise that focuses on social capital. Her key contribution lies in integrating technology with challenges of healthcare, financial services, incubation and conceptualising programs such as Innovations Labs.
Imran Khawaja Appointed as "ICC Deputy Chairman"
The International Cricket Council (ICC) has appointed Imran Khawaja as its deputy chairman. Imran Khawaja is Chairman of Associates counties and a veteran administrator from Singapore.
Kavita Devi first Indian woman ever to appear in WWE
Former Indian powerlifter and South Asian Games gold medal winner, Kavita Devi will be making history as she becomes the first Indian woman to appear in WWE (World Wrestling Entertainment).
- Kavita has been selected to compete in the Mae Young Classic which is the first-ever WWE tournament for women. She was selected after taking part in the WWE Dubai tryout earlier this year in April wherein she caught the attention of talent scouts.
Ireland & Afghanistan awarded Test status by ICC
Ireland and Afghanistan have been granted Test status by the International Cricket Council.It increases the number of countries competing at the top level of international cricket to 12.
- They are the first admissions since Bangladesh gained Test status in 2000.The changes were passed unanimously at the ICC full council meeting at The Oval.International Cricket Council is headquartered in Dubai.
Useful Download Links: