Current Affairs: World Tourism Day - September 27, 2016
உலக சுற்றுலா நாள் - செப்டம்பர் 27, 2016
World Tourism Day
- The United Nations’ (UN) World Tourism Day is observed every year on Sep 27 to foster awareness among the international community of the importance of tourism and its social, cultural, political and economic values.
- The day recognises the importance of tourists and the tourism industry across the globe. The theme of 2016 is “Tourism for All – promoting universal accessibility”.
- Since 1980, the United Nations World Tourism Organization has celebrated World Tourism Day on September 27.
- This date was chosen as on that day in 1970, the Statutes of the UNWTO were adopted. The adoption of these Statutes is considered a milestone in global tourism.
- The purpose of this day is to raise awareness on the role of tourism within the international community and to demonstrate how it affects social, cultural, political and economic values worldwide.
- At its Twelfth Session in Istanbul, Turkey, in October 1997, the UNWTO General Assembly decided to designate a host country each year to act as the Organization's partner in the celebration of World Tourism Day.
- At its Fifteenth Session in Beijing, China, in October 2003, the Assembly decided the following geographic order to be followed for World Tourism Day celebrations: 2006 in Europe; 2007 in South Asia; 2008 in the Americas; 2009 in Africa and 2011 in the Middle East.
- The late Ignatius Amaduwa Atigbi, a Nigerian national, was the one who proposed the idea of marking September 27 of every year as World Tourism Day. He was finally recognized for his contribution in 2009.