Current Affairs:Central Government Merging Railway Budget with Union Budget
Cabinet approves merging of Rail budget with Union Budget
- The Union Cabinet (21.09.2016) approved merger of Rail budget with Union Budget.
- At its meeting chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi, it also decided to advanced presentation of the annual Budget to get all the legislative approvals for the annual spending and tax proposals before the beginning of the new financial year on April 1, 2016.
- Briefing media, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley said, actual date of Budget presentation will be decided after taking into account dates of assembly elections.
- He said all proposals on the railways will be included in it. He said government will also ensure that there is a separate discussion on the railways each year.
- The decision scraps over nine-decade old tradition of having a separate Railway Budget.