Current Affairs: Angelique Kerber Wins US Open Tennis Title 2016
Germany's Angelique Kerber wins 2016 US Open Women's Singles Champion
2016 US Open Women's Singles
- In season's final Grand Slam, the US Open, newly-crowned world number one Angelique Kerber of Germany beat Karolina Pliskova of Czech Republic to lift the Women's Singles title. This is Kerber's second Major title. She won the Australian Open this year.
- In the summit clash played this morning, Kerber trumped Pliskova in a three set match, 6-3, 4-6, 6-4 to win her maiden US Open title.
- Pliskova, the runner up, had earlier defeated the likes of Venus Williams in quarter-finals and Serena Williams in semi-finals.
About Angelique Kerber
- Angelique Kerber born 18 January 1988 is a German professional tennis player. Having made her professional debut in 2003,
- Kerber rose to prominence upon reaching the semifinals of the 2011 US Open, at which time she was ranked no. 92 in the world. She will achieve a career-high ranking of world No. 1 on 12 September, 2016. At the 2016 Summer Olympics, Kerber won an Olympic silver medal while representing Germany.
- Known for her aggressive counter-punching all-court game and left-handed shots, Kerber has won 10 singles titles, most notably her two Grand Slam titles—the first at the 2016 Australian Open, and the second eight months later at the 2016 US Open.
- She has won at least one title on every surface on the WTA Tour, achieving this feat in 2015 by winning Charleston (green clay), Stuttgart (red clay), Birmingham (grass) and Stanford (hard). Furthermore, she has won three doubles titles on the ITF tour during her career.