Current Affairs: Dipa Karmakar - First Indian Qualified for Finals of Artistic Gymnastics.
Dipa Karmakar became the lone Indian ever to qualify for the finals of Artistic Gymnastics
- In the ongoing Rio Olympics, Dipa Karmakar became the lone Indian ever to qualify for the finals of Artistic Gymnastics.
- Dipa Karmakar's specialty, the Vault apparatus, with average score of 14.850, Dipa made the country proud, as she grabbed the 8th position to advance to the finals.
- Top eight from each apparatus qualify for finals. There were overall five sub divisions and Dipa competed in the third sub division.
- Earlier, Dipa was the the first ever Indian female gymnast to qualify for the Olympics. She will now be seen in the finals action on Sunday, 14.08.2016 evening.
About Dipa Karmakar and her Records
- Dipa Karmakar is an Indian artistic gymnast who hails from the Northeastern Indian state of Tripura. She rose to recognition when she won a bronze medal at the 2014 Commonwealth Games, held at Glasgow becoming the first Indian female gymnast to do so in the history of the games.
- She also won a bronze at the Asian Gymnastics Championships and finished fifth at the 2015 World Artistic Gymnastics Championships, both a first for her country. These achievements have established her as the most successful gymnast from India.
- In April 2016, Karmakar became the first female Indian gymnast ever to secure an Olympic berth by garnering a total score of 52.698 points.
- Additionally, she will be the first Indian gymnast to qualify for the Olympics in 52 years. She is being supported by the GoSports Foundation in her endeavor to do so.