Current Affairs: PV Sindhu First Indian Woman to win a Silver Medal in Olympics
Youngest Indian to Win a Medal at Olympics
- Ace shuttler PV Sindhu made the country proud in Rio Olympics Friday (19.08.2016) evening as she became the first Indian woman to win a Silver medal at the biggest sporting event of the world.
- World number 10 Sindhu, playing in her first Olympic Games, went down fighting in the Gold medal match against world number one Carolina Marin of Spain, 21-19, 12-21, 15-21 to give India its first Olympic Silver medal in Badminton.
- The 21 year old Sindhu, youngest Indian to win a medal at Olympics, rose to podium to get that Silver medal and smiled as she made the country proud.
- The jouney for a medal in Badminton started from London 2012, when Saina Nehwal bagged the first medal a Bronze for India. Sindhu just went for a notch above and took Silver at Rio 2016. Now, all eyes should be on Tokyo 2020 as India searches for its Gold.
- President Pranab Mukherjee said, in a tweet, that it is a proud moment for India and the whole nation rejoices with Sindhu and her family.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi said, Sindhu's accomplishment is historic and will be remembered for years.