TNPSC Computer Awareness Questions & Answers 251-300
251. Virtual memory is _____?
(a) Memory on the hard disk that the CPU uses as an extended RAM
(c) only necessary if you do not have any RAM in your diagram
(d) A back up device for floppy disks
Answer: (b) RAM
252. When sending an e-mail, the _____ line describes the contents of the message?
Answer: (b) subject
253. Which grouping do you work with when formatting text in word?
(a) Tables, paragraphs and indexes
(b) Paragraphs, indexes and sections
(c) Characters, sections and paragraphs
(d) Indexes, characters and tables
Answer: (a) Tables, paragraphs and indexes
254. What is the process of copying software programs from secondary storage media to the hard disk
Answer: (d) Installation
255. What is back up?
(a) Adding more components to your network
(b) Protecting data by copying it from the original source
to a different destination
(c) Filtering old data from the new data (d) Accessing data on tape
Answer: (b) Protecting data by copying it from the original source
256. What is the ultimate purpose of De-fragmentation?
(a) Make the PC faster
(b) Create More Free Space
(c) Delete temporary files
(d) Reduce Power consumption
Answer: (c) Delete temporary files
257. The purpose of the primary key in a database is to ______?
(a) unlock the database
(b) provide a map of the data
(c) uniquely identify a record
(d) establish constraints on database operations
Answer: (b) provide a map of the data
258. Which of the following is NOT a type of broad band internet connection?
Answer: (c) Dial-up
259. Which of the following places the common data elements in order from smallest to largest _____?
(a) character, file, record, field, database
(b) character, record, field, database, file
(c) character, field, record, file, database
(d) Bit, byte, character, record, field, file, database
Answer: (c) character, field, record, file, database
260. What is the function of Drop cap?
(a) It does not allow capital letters to be used in the documents
(b) It makes first letter of each word
capital letter in the documents
(c) It lets you begin a paragraph with a large dropped initial capital letter
(d) In automatically starts all paragraphs and sentences with capital letters
Answer: (c) It lets you begin a paragraph with a large dropped initial capital letter
261. _____ are lists of commands that appear on the screen?
Answer: (c) Menus
262. For viewing video CDs, you would use _____?
(a) CD Player
(b) Windows Media player
(c) Windows Video player
(d) Windows Movie player
Answer: (b) Windows Media player
263. The Internet began with the development of _____?
Answer: (b) ARPANET
264. Network components are connected to the same cable in the _______ topology?
Answer: (a) star
265. With this type memory, large programs are divided into parts and the parts stored on a secondary
device, usually a hard disk?
Answer: (c) Virtual
266. A data warehouse is which of the following?
(a) Can be updated by the users
(b) Contains numerous conventions and formats
(c) Organized around subject areas
(d) Contains only current data
Answer: (c) Organized around subject areas
267. In MICR, C stands for?
Answer: (d) Character
268. Programs from the same developer, sold bundled together, that provide better integration and share
common features, toolbars and menus are known as?
(a) Software suites
(b) integrated software
(c) software processing
(d) personal information
Answer: (a) Software suites
269. All of the following are examples of real security and privacy risks except?
(d) Identify theft
Answer: (a) Hackers
270. _____ are specially designed computer chips reside inside other devices, such as your car or your
(b) Embedded computers
(c) Robotic computers
Answer: (b) Embedded computers
271. In a ring topology, the computer is possession of the ____ can transmit data?
(c) access method
Answer: (d) token
272. The design of the network is called the network?
Answer: (a) architecture
273. Chip is a common nickname for a (n) ____?
(c) integrated circuit
Answer: (c) integrated circuit
274. Granting and outside organization access to internet web pages is often implemented using a(n)?
Answer: (a) extranet
275. What is gutter margin?
(a) Margin that is added to the left margin when printing
(b) Margin that is added to right margin when printing
(c) Margin that is added to the binding side of page when printing
(d) Margin that is added to the outside of the page when printing
Answer: (c) Margin that is added to the binding side of page when printing
276. Which of the following devices have a limitation that we can only store information to it but cannot
erase or modify it?
(a) Floppy disk
(b) Hard Disk
(c) Tape Drive
Answer: (d) CDROM
277. The programs which are as hardware and stored in ROM is known as ____?
(d) ROM ware
Answer: (c) Firmware
278. The two basic types of record – access methods are _____?
(a) Sequential and random
(b) Sequential and indexed
(c) Direct and immediate
(d) On-line and real time
Answer: (a) Sequential and random
279. As compared to diskettes, the hard disks are _____?
(a) More expensive
(b) More portable
(c) Less rigid
(d) Slowly accessed
Answer: (a) More expensive
280. A group of magnetic tapes, videos or terminals usually under the control of one master is _____?
Answer: (d) Cluster
281. Which of the professions has been affected by personal computers?
(b) Clerical and law
(d) All of the above
Answer: (d) All of the above
282. Microprocessors can be used to make ______?
(b) Digital systems
(d) All of the above
Answer: (d) All of the above
283. Which of the following is not available in Font spacing?
Answer: (b) Loosely
284. Computer connected to a LAN (Local Area Network) can ____?
(a) run faster
(b) go on online
(c) share information and/or share peripheral equipment
Answer: (c) share information and/or share peripheral equipment
285. COBOL is widely used in ______ applications?
Answer: (a) Commercial
286. A result of a computer virus can not lead to _____?
(a) Disk crash
(b) Mother Board crash
(c) Corruption of program
(d) Deletion of files
Answer: (b) Mother Board crash
287. If you need to duplicate the entire disk, which command will you use?
Answer: (b) Diskcopy
288. Which of the following extensions suggest that the file is a backup copy ____?
Answer: (a) Bak
289. A saved document is referred to as a _____?
Answer: (a) File
290. ______ processing is used when a large mail-order company accumulates orders and processes them
together in one large set?
Answer: (a) Batch
291. Hardware includes ____?
(a) all devices used to input data into a computer
(b) sets of instructions that a computer runs or executes
(c) the computer and all the devices connected to it that are used to input and output data
(d) all devices involved in processing information including the central processing unit, memory and
Answer: (d) all devices involved in processing information including the central processing unit, memory and
292. Any letter, number, or symbol found on the keyboard that you can type into the computer _____?
Answer: (b) character
293. When installing ______, the user must copy and usually decompress program files from a CDROM or
other medium to the hard disk?
(a) programming software
(b) system hardware
(c) applications hardware
(d) applications software
Answer: (a) programming software
294. Application software is designed to accomplish ______?
(a) real-world tasks
(b) computer-centric tasks
(c) gaming tasks
(d) Operating system tasks
Answer: (d) Operating system tasks
295. What is the purpose of query?
(a) Input data
(b) Output data
(c) Sort & filter
(d) All of above
Answer: (d) All of above
296. First generation computer systems used _____?
(b) Vacuum Tubes
(c) Both a and b
Answer: (b) Vacuum Tubes
297. Which of the following is used to indicate the location on the computer monitor?
(c) Both a and b
Answer: (b) Cursor
298. Which combination of keys needs to be pressed to make a percent percentage sign?
(a) Shift + 2
(b) Shift + 3
(c) Shift + 4
(d) Shift + 5
Answer: (d) Shift + 5
299. _____ is known as unauthorized access into others system?
(d) Both b and c
Answer: (a) Hacking
300. VIRUS stands for ___?
(a) Vital Information Recourse Under Siege
(b) Vital Information Reason Under Siege
(c) Vital Information Recourse Under System
(d) Virus Information Recourse Under Siege
Answer: (c) Vital Information Recourse Under System