Current Affairs: 10 Wildlife Sanctuaries included in Swachh Bharat Abhiyan.
10 National Parks, Tiger Reserves and Wildlife Sanctuaries brought under the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan
10 prominent national parks, tiger reserves and wildlife sanctuaries across the country will now be brought under the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan. A campaign was launched as part of Swachh Bharat fortnight from 1st June to 15th June.
- All the Principal Chief Conservators of Forest, Chief Wildlife Wardens, National Tiger Conservation Authority, Wildlife Crime Control Bureau and other agencies associated with the wildlife wing of the Environment Ministry took part in the campaign. Considering success of the campaign, the government has decided to continue its implementation for the whole year.
- Under this special campaign, the Environment and Forests Ministry is focusing on keeping these places pollution-free and ensure cleanliness and waste management. In this regard, the government plans to disallow use of dustbin and plastic bags inside the reserves and sanctuaries.
- The sanctuaries are spread over approximately 1.61 lakh sq. km. and about 32 lakh visitors visit them every year. Besides ensuring cleanliness of international excellence-level at these ten places, the government will also implement standard operating procedures or SOP for getting rid of garbage.
The following Ten places identified for Swachh Bharat drive includes:
1. Coringa Wildlife Sanctuary, Andhra Pradesh
2. Gir National Park, Gujarat
3. Kanha Tiger Reserve, Madhya Pradesh
4. Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve, Maharshtra
5. Flamingo Sanctuary, Maharashtra
6. Nagarhole Tiger Reserve, Karnataka
7. Periyar Tiger Reserve, Kerala
8. Sariska Tiger Reserve, Rajasthan
9. Mudumalai Tiger Reserve, Tamil Nadu
10. Jim Corbett Tiger Reserve, Uttarakhand