TNPSC Current Affairs: TN Assembly Elections 2016
Current Affairs: Tamil Nadu Assembly Elections 2016
A Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly election 2016 was held on 16 May 2016 for the 232 (234) seats of the Legislative Assembly in the state of Tamil Nadu in India.
- The Election held for the 15th Assembly of Tamil Nadu. The votes were counted on 19 May 2016.
- AIADMK under J. Jayalalithaa won the elections and became the first ruling party to be reelected in Tamil Nadu since 1984 through with a reduced majority.
- The tenure of fourteenth Assembly of Tamil Nadu ends on 22 May 2016.
- There are over 5.79 crore voters in the electoral rolls and 65,616 polling stations in Tamil Nadu.
- A special purification drive of electoral rolls between 15 and 29 February 2016 in all poll-bound States including Tamil Nadu would be held, in which door-to-door verification would be undertaken involving booth-level agents.
- On 12 February 2016, Election Commission of India announced that 17 assembly constituencies in Tamil Nadu attached along with EVMs. Voter-verified paper audit trail (VVPAT) machines will be in place in 4,000 booths.
Party & Seats Won
1. All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam - 1342. Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam - 89
3. Indian National Congress - 08
4. Indian Union Muslim League - 01
Party - Percentage - Votes received
- All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (ADMK) - 40.8% -17617060
- Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) - 31.6%, - 13670511
- Pattali Makkal Katchi (PMK) - 5.3% - 2300775
- Bharathiya Janatha Party (BJP) - 2.8% - 1228692
- Desia Murpokku Diravida Kazhagam (DMDK) - 2.4% - 1034384
- Independant - 1.4% - 617907
- Nam Tamilar Katchi (NTK) - 1.1% - 458104
- Marumalarchi Drivida Munnetra Kazhagam (MDMK) - 0.9% - 373713
- Communist Party of India (CPI) - 0.8% 340290
- Viduthalai Siruthaigal Katchi (VCK) - 0.8% - 331849
- Indian Union Muslim League (IUML) - 0.7% - 313808
- Communist Parti od India (Marksist) (CPM) - 0.7% - 307303
- Tamil manila Congress (Moopanar)TMC(M) - 0.5% - 230711
- Puthiya Tamilagam (PT) - 0.5% - 219830
- Manitha Neya Makkal Katchi (MAMAK) - 0.5% - 219830
- Kongu Makkal Desia Katchi (KMDK) - 0.4% - 167560
- Bagujan Samaj Party (BSP) - 0.2% - 97823
- Social Democratic Party of India (SDPI) 0.2% - 65978
- None of the Above (NOTA) -1.3% - 561244