TNPSC Current Affairs Sports April 2016
India to Host 2018 Commonwealth Judo Championships
- India is going to host the 2018 Commonwealth Judo Championships in Jaipur, Rajasthan. It was announced by the Judo Federation of India (JFI).
- The announcement came after the Commonwealth Judo Congress allotted the Championships to India at its meeting held at Port Elizabeth in South Africa.
Indian Rower Dattu Bhokanal Qualifies for Olympics
- Indian Rower Dattu Baban Bhokanal qualified for the 2016 Rio Olympics scheduled to be held in August 2016 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- He qualified Rio Olympics after winning a silver medal in the men’s single sculls event at the FISA Asian and Oceania Olympic Qualification Regatta held at Chung-ju in South Korea.
- Dattu Bhokanal trains at the Army Rowing Node (ARN) in Pune, Maharashtra. He will be the lone Indian rower taking part in Rio Games.
Australia Won 2016 Sultan Azlan Shah Hockey Championship
- Australia has won the 25th edition of Sultan Azlan Shah Hockey Tournament 2016 for record ninth time. In the final match played at Ipoh, Australia defeated India by 4-0 goals.
- With this India settled at the second position and was followed by New Zealand (defending champion) at the third position.
- This was the second time India had finished with the silver medal in seven final appearances. Earlier, Australia had won the Sultan Azlan Shah Hockey Tournament in 1983, 1996, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2011, 2013 and 2014. They also holds record of most titles win of this tournament.
- Final Rankings of Sultan Azlan Shah Hockey Tournament 2016: Australia (1), India (2), New Zealand (3), Malaysia (4), Pakistan (5), Canada (6) and Japan (7).
Mairaj Ahmed Khan wins silver medal at ISSF World Cup of shooting
- India’s Mairaj Ahmed Khan has won the silver medal in the Men’s Skeet event at ISSF World Cup held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. In the final, Mairaj lost gold medal to Sweden’s Marcus Svensson and the bronze medal was won by Tamarro Casandro of Italy.
- With this victory, he becomes first Indian shooter to win skeet medal for India at a World Cup. Earlier in September 2016 he had qualified for his maiden Olympics after finishing in sixth place at the ISSF Shotgun World Cup. He is the first Indian to qualify in the Skeet event at the Olympics.
Dipa Karmakar, the first Indian Woman Gymnast to Qualify for Olympics
- Indian artistic gymnast Dipa Karmakar has created history by becoming the first Indian woman gymnast to qualify for Olympics. She achieved this feat after her strong performance at the final qualifying which helped her to book 2016 Rio Olympics Games berth to be held in August 2016.
- In the test event, she earned a total score of 52.698 points in the artistic gymnastics event. She has been listed as the 79th gymnast in the list of women’s artistic gymnasts who have qualified for the Rio Olympics.
India wins 2016 Asian Nations Cup Chess tournament
- Indian men have won the 2016 Asian Nations Cup Chess tournament by defeating Vietnam in the final round by 3-1 score played in Abu Dhabi. In the final round match, Indian Grandmasters S P Sethuraman and K Sasikiran won on the 2nd and 4th boards while, B Adhiban and Vidit Santosh Gujrathi drew their respective matches on top and 3rd boards.
- With this win India gained 17 points, two more than World and Olympiad champions China. India drew Mongolia and beat the rest of the teams in a 22-team tournament.
- It was overall third time, Indian men won the event earlier they had won at Esfahan, Iran in 2005 and Kolkata 2009. In the women’s section, top seed China won the title with 15 points followed by Uzbekistan (14 points) at second Kazakhstan (13 points) at third position respectively. Indian women finished fourth position with 12 points.
West Indies wins 2016 ICC T-20 Cricket World Cup
- West Indies has won the ICC Cricket World Men’s T20 Cup 2016 by defeating England by 4 wickets in the final match played at Eden Gardens, Kolkata. In the final match, England batting first had scored 155 runs for 9 wickets.
- West Indies successfully chased the target by scoring 161 runs in 19.4 over at the loss of 4 wickets. With this win, West Indies became the only team to win the ICC World Twenty20 title twice. Earlier it had won its first title in 2012 by defeating Sri Lanka.
West Indies Women won ICC Cricket World Women’s T20 Cup 2016
- West Indies has won their maiden Women’s World T20 title by defeating reigning champions Australia by 8 wickets at the Eden Gardens in Kolkata.
- Batting first Australia had score of 148 runs for 5 wickets. West Indies in reply scored 149 runs in 19.3 over at the loss of 2 wickets.