TNPSC Current Affairs: Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana (DDUGJY)
Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana (DDUGJY)
Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana (DDUGJY) is designed to provide continuous power supply to the entire rural India.
- The scheme was launched under leadership of Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi in November 2014 announcing that "the government had decided to electrify 18,452 unelectrified villages within 1000 days, by May 1, 2018."
- It is one of the key initiatives of Government of India and a flagship programmes of the Ministry of Power. The DDUGJY can benefit rural households significantly as electricity is extremely vital for growth and development of the country.
- The scheme will replace the existing Rajiv Gandhi Grameen Vidyutikaran Yojana (RGGVY) but features of RGGVY have been subsumed in the new scheme of DDUGJY and the unspent amount of RGGVY will be carried forward to DDUGJY.
- The scheme is one of the flagship programmes of the Power Ministry (MoP) and will facilitate 24x7 supply of electricity.
- The existing Rajiv Gandhi Grameen Vidyutikaran Yojana (RGGVY) has been subsumed in the DDUGJY.
- All Discoms are eligible for financial assistance under the scheme.
- Rural Electrification Corporation Limited (REC) will be the nodal agency for implementation of the scheme.
BENEFITS OF THE SCHEME
- All villages and households shall be electrified.
- Increase in agriculture yield.
- Business of Small and household enterprises shall grow resulting into new avenues for employment.
- Improvement in Health, Education, Banking (ATM) services.
- Improvement in accessibility to radio, telephone, television, internet and mobile.
- Betterment in social security due to availability of electricity.
- Accessibility of electricity to schools, panchayats, hospitals and police stations.
- Rural areas shall get increased opportunities for comprehensive development.