TNPSC GK: Telangana the 29th State of India
Telangana the 29th State of India
- Telangana is one of the 29 States in India, in the Country.
- It was formed on 02 June 2014 from Andhra Pradesh with the city of Hyderabad as its Capital.
- Telangana is bordered by the States of Maharashtra to the North and North West, Chhattisgarh to the North, Odisha to the North East (adjoining khammam district), Karnataka to the west, and Andhra Pradesh to the east and south.
- Telangana has an area of 114,840 square kilometers (44,340 sq mi), and a population of 35,193,978 (2011 census). making it the twelfth largest state in India, and the twelfth most populated state in India, Its major cities include Hyderabad, Warangal, Nizamabad, Karimnagar and Ramagundam.
- The state is divided into 10 districts, which are further divided into 42 revenue divisions and they are in turn divided into 462 mandals
- Telangana acquired its identity as the Telugu-speaking region of the princely state of Hyderabad, ruled by the Nizam of Hyderabad, joining the Union of India in 1948. In 1956, the Hyderabad state was dissolved as part of the linguistic reorganization of states and Telangana was merged with former Andhra State to form Andhra Pradesh.
- Following a movement for separation, it was awarded separate statehood on 02 June 2014. Hyderabad will continue to serve as the joint capital city for Andhra Pradesh and Telangana for a period of not more than ten years.
• Governor: E. S. L. Narasimhan
• Chief Minister: Kalvakuntla Chandrashekar Rao (TRS)
• Legislature Bicameral: (119 + 43 seats)
• Lok Sabha Constituencies: 17
• High Court: High Court of Judicature at Hyderabad
Telangana map as it is formation